Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I.J. Owls Head 38.

My fiancee's Grandpa passed away last month. When he passed away he lefted behind a 440 arce farm, many loved ones and a Iver Johnson .38 Owl Head revolver. Jessie's mom tried to get rid of the rovolver. Luckly Jessie sent me a phone picture asking what it was. I was able to convience Jessie's dad that the revolver had greater value as an keep sake than for the few dollars that it was really worth. Jessie now has the pistol.

When I saw the picture became immediately excited. I have had an interest in Owl Head revolvers ever since talking to an old Norfolk & Western Railway Police Officer (Railroad Bull) in a Portsmouth Nursing home. He was the cruelest man I have ever met in my life. He told me stories about shooting at hobo's, throwing people off moving freight trains, and scaring kids who tried to pick up coal that had fell off the cars. The revolver he favored was an Owl Head .32. I in no way look up to this man but I do think it is important to remember history.

After doing a bit of research I found out that a lot of people carried Owl Heads. Farmers, store keepers, bicycle couriers, Postmen, and the avarage guy. They were good, inexpensive , reliable and accurate pistols. All of the Owl Heads were spin offs of S&W designs but they were not exact copies. For example S&W safety hammerless had a grip safety kind of like a 1911. The I.J. spin off featured a Glock like safe-action trigger spoon. Most people dont know that the safe action type triggers were around over 80 years be for the Glock. I found an interesting ad for the I.J. revolver.

Jessie's Grandpa was one of the kindest people I have ever met. Along with memories we will always have a interesting keep sake to remember him by.

Last edited:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Nice little vintage revolver. Just don't assume it's a .38 special, if it is a .38 special don't shoot +P ammo in it. There is a good chance is a .38 S&W.

Last edited: