Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Floor repair and new door

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Had a back door issue. Has not been latching for awhile now and the dogs can let themselves in. Not good. We had an addition done 5 or 6 years ago and the contractor was less than impressive. No way we should have had this issue. I had been putting it off because I knew it was more than a "quick fix". Winter is coming as well as hunting season. Weather is tolerable so Dad and I tackled it today. Pulled the old door out. Realized we had some pretty bad rot. Removed moulding and peeled back several rows of laminate. Cut out the rot and cleaned it up to allow for as much drying as possible. We added some reinforcement 2x8s for structural integrity and they doubled as nailers. Contractor didn't match the transition very well from the old home to new part, so we had to build up the floor with 2 layers of osb when we did it. (At this point, the contractor was paid and sent on his way. We had seen enough cobbling, so we finished it ourselves.) With 2 layers, it meant we needed 2 layers of repairs. Ugh. Tore it out, replaced bottom layer and stubbed in a new sealplate under the new door jamb. Hung the door, trued it up, and put a doorknob on. Dad left and I cleaned up. Tomorrow I will finish the second layer, clean it up, lay the laminate back in place, and hang my moulding again. Hopefully I can reuse the aluminum wrap and get a couple pieces of siding up as well.

It was not fun. Not sure if I am getting my daughter's cold or if the mold and dust just has my allergies kicked up but my nose wont stop running. I am miserable right now. Big day tomorrow finishing this and then going to work the night shift ripping a landscape out of a local restaurant after hours tomorrow night. I am not looking forward to it. Here are the pictures.

uploadfromtaptalk1346988583017.jpguploadfromtaptalk1346988599949.jpguploadfromtaptalk1346988609807.jpg

After chasing the kids to ball games I decided I needed to decompress a bit. I have had poison ivy on my release arm wrist for a couple weeks so I haven't shot any. Tonight felt good. Other than my first shot high, I was feeling okay for a 2 week lull. The groups got tighter as I continued to shoot. Always good to get some arrow therapy after a long day!
uploadfromtaptalk1346988768297.jpg

Last edited: