Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

River's Edge Pack n Stack

Huckleberry Finn

Part 1 of the review, as I have not hung the stand yet.

I bought a River's Edge Pack n Stack ladder stand from Hank Tucker Outdoors this summer. As the name suggests, it's a 33 pound 'packable' ladder stand, with your butt at a cozy 12 feet off the ground.

http://www.huntriversedge.com/foundations/store/storepage.asp?page=PackNStack

I wanted a ladder stand to throw into the mix that I can use for a double person hunt (namely my dad and girlfriend) but also something for gun season. I will probably use this as an 'observation' stand for bow season...it's a bit of an experiment as I am wary of its low height (plus those of you that swear against ladder stands for bow hunting).

Here's the review part though, and a crucial part of a product - customer service. Started off a little rough as I opened the box a week ago and found that I was missing the bolts to the stand. I called River's Edge a little ticked off, gave them the serial number off the stand, and lo and behold, the next business day I had a box from them not only with the bolts that I needed, but the whole 'insert bag'. I now have extra clips (who doesn't need those?) and extra ratchet strap and an extra seat cushion. Of course, by law, they also sent me another el-cheapo harness (thanks for the extra buckle strap that I will just leave in the woods now).

I'll continue the review when I hang the stand and hunt out of it...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Still feel bad about that even if it was no fault of ours. I am glad they took good (and speedy) care of you Huck! Looking forward to more reviews.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad to hear they took care of you, Huck. I look forward to reading part 2 of this review. A packable ladder stand is definitely an interesting concept.

I like how they picture a small in stature female with the pack on her back like it's nothing. 33 pounds ain't no joke!!!

I could see it being manageable with a decent backpack strap system,but I bet the factory ones leave alot to be desired..I have packed in more then that late season with a climber,Molle II pack System an backpack loaded with mid layer,outer layers,and some other things...Fish scale read 41LB,22 of that was the stand:smiley_depressive:....Not something I would want to do all season every hunt though..

Huckleberry Finn

I like how they picture a small in stature female with the pack on her back like it's nothing. 33 pounds ain't no joke!!!

The straps it comes with it are el-cheapo. I don't think I'll be sprinting through the woods with it, that's for sure.

It just seemed like a neat product at a good price. Worst case scenario it becomes a permanent ladder stand. I've hunted out of a tiny 10 foot ladder stand and shot my first deer out of it (gun) so maybe that's why I was drawn to it.

mightymet

I saw this stand in a magazine a few days ago. At first I was kind of impressed at the concept. Then my damn mind started to think of the reasons I would not like this. Can't wait to here how it works out. It's a great idea for those who don't like climbers.

Huckleberry Finn

A little bit trickier to put together than I thought, but just need to tighten up the bolts (at least I left that last!). Will hang tomorrow and post pictures of it stacked and then in the woods.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I saw this stand in a magazine a few days ago. At first I was kind of impressed at the concept. Then my damn mind started to think of the reasons I would not like this. Can't wait to here how it works out. It's a great idea for those who don't like climbers.

Reasonably priced as well. We are selling them for $85. Can't get a hang on and sticks this cheap. Only thing this cheap is the regular lower level ladder stands. They are not portable either.

Huck- I look forward to your review. I am curious as to how easy they are to transport in, setup, and take down. If it is easy, this will be one heck of a stand for the money.

Huckleberry Finn

I finished assembling the stand this morning and packed it up. It's somewhere been compact and bulky. 33 pounds I think is what the box says. The straps on it are junk and a waste of time, but I was more or less expecting that. I think that if you could incorporate this into a nice system that'd make it a lot more 'packable'. I threw it in the back of the truck, but it'd fit in the back of my Subaru.

0916121138a.jpg
0916121138.jpg

Setting it up was a breeze. I was solo, but cheated. It essentially goes together with sets of cotter pins. I had a set of sticks in the tree and a hang on stand, so I used the sticks to rachet down the top of the stand. (and then I stood on the Pack n Stack to take the hang on stand down, lol...whatever works). The 'bite' plate that goes against the tree is good sized with aggressive teeth. I did put the extra rachet strap they sent me on the stabilizer bar, and I think that's a must.

0916121518.jpg
0916121517a.jpg

One of my concerns was the height - well, I shot a deer out of my hang on last year at a lower height, so that's better than I thought. This stand is in a not-so-perfect spot anyways, so it does stick out a little bit. I was very pleased with the comfort of the sling seat, and the platform is big enough to stand and turn on, but probably too small to do a gig.

0916121511.jpg

Overall, I think this stand will be good as an observation stand, which was my thought as to where I put it. With a better strap system, you could pack this in and out daily - but it would have to be a public land, all day sit situation, or else I don't know why you would. I probably won't move it until gun season. Speaking of which, I think that this would be a nice perch for gun season - something you move to a new spot for a week. Without the cheater sticks on the tree, you'd have to have the extra rachet strap for the stabilizer bar to put the top rachet strap on. Although it's light weight, it's very sturdy and the ladder is amply wide.

I'd give this product a solid B. It's not the nicest ladder stand in the world, and it's not the most mobile set-up, but it's a good 'in between' product. Great price at around $85. I'd recommend it for a beginning hunter, someone on a budget, or maybe an older hunter looking for something light. After the initial hanging, I'd imagine that I could put this up in half an hour or less.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good review Huck. Pretty much what I had expected. Are there better? Sure. Are there worse? Sure. The concept is great. I think you are off on your time to set it up though. My thoughts: Once you set it up and take it down a couple times, you will be dialed in and setting it up in 5-10min once at your tree. I would guess you are still a bit gunshy after your fall last year.

Huckleberry Finn

Good review Huck. Pretty much what I had expected. Are there better? Sure. Are there worse? Sure. The concept is great. I think you are off on your time to set it up though. My thoughts: Once you set it up and take it down a couple times, you will be dialed in and setting it up in 5-10min once at your tree. I would guess you are still a bit gunshy after your fall last year.

Well, that was why I had the cheater stick there - actually the sticks that I fell off of. I was there sometime this spring and got pretty pissed and ripped one of the middle sticks out...leaving the top stick and the stand just hanging up there. lol. Not my brightest moment. I decided to leave the 3 remaining sticks there because I know I'm not going to use them - except for hanging a stand off the side/back for a buddy hunt. I certainly took my time though. 10 minutes might be a little ambitious with trying to be quiet, but 15-20 would be very doable.

--

Say Phil, I did hang a set of those other steps I got today though - the Trophy Ladder. They are sturdy as a rock. It's a change with only one foot in the hole, but with a lineman's belt, they weren't too hateful to do. Just had to text Cottis to figure out the damn straps! Didn't hang a stand, as I will take in my Millenium in two weeks.

0916121648.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good deal! Those do look nice! Ironically, i think they are about the same price. One gets you 13' and hunting, the other gets you 20' to hang a hang on stand. This is why I feel the Pack N Stack is such a great value for the money. Whole lotta stand for the money. Some guys just don't like hunting very high, which makes it ideal for them as well.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I had a heckuva time figuring out the straps. I was about to give up until Klay, who was messing with them on another tree, said "hey dad, I think I got it." Little fugger got them to work! Lol
I was actually putting regular ratchet straps on the ladder sticks when he figured them out. Once we got past that hurdle, they were a snap and actually are very nice. They are very sturdy, were light to carry in, and fit together perfectly. I stacked them and carried all four like a suitcase in one hand and my stand in the other with no problem.
The only thing I ran into, once the straps were figured out, was that the tree leaned slightly back on the side I had to put the ladder. I didn't notice that until I got to putting the 4th section on and it was leaning back pretty good. So, I abandoned the 4th section and had to stay with 3 sections. But, it's not a big deal because like every other stand I hunt, I'm on a hillside and I'm still up high above where I expect deer to travel.

Overall, very pleased with the ladder.

Huckleberry Finn

As far as the ladder goes, tightening the top of the fourth stick made my butt pucker a little bit - I'm not used to being up that high. But, it'll be very nice to have plenty of extra ladder to hold onto after I hang a stand at the 3rd stick height hahaha

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good deal fellas! Always nice to hear positive feedback on products I have not personally used yet. I have not used either of these myself yet. Rivers Edge makes some good stuff though.