Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The wait.

mightymet

It seems we are pretty much ready for the season to start. Our stands are up and our camper is ready. We just need some provisions. I am very excited being that this is my first real season. I tried a little last year but we really put in a lot of work this year. We have a small 30 acre piece of land. It shows a lot of promise. Hoping for a good year. Will be starting with bow. Will probably do gun and am thinking of getting a muzzle loader. Just playing the waiting game now. I will post some pics of our set up below. Good luck to you all this season.

mightymet

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346713561.536518.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346713602.526550.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346713616.167910.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346713669.763724.jpg
This is what we call the eagles nest. This is my favorite stand we have. It's is also the farthest. About a 45 minute walk or so in the dark. It has great lines of sight 360 degrees around. It faces west. 21 feet tall! It's like sitting on a skyscraper. The property runs north to south. This is the very south. There is a corn field to the south and all woods to the north. Looks like they come through to hit the corn. At least that's what we hope.

Last edited:

mightymet

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346713972.297453.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346713988.946393.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346714031.866535.jpg
This one is "the last resort". We were just trying to find a spot for this stand. We had a different spot picked but it was just not doable with out some serious trimming. So we just threw it up here. Saw some good signs here so we put it up. Faces north west. Only a couple of shooting lanes. 21 footer. It ok but will probably not be my first choice.

mightymet

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346714431.461181.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346714454.845104.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346714482.496942.jpg
Calling this one "Carrie's stand". It's a two man 15 footer. Out this one up for two reasons. For my wife to use. She actually climbed up it today and was comfortable in it. Also it's only about a ten minute walk in. That way if one of us is running late we can sneak in to this one. A lot of good signs at this location. I will be able to use my climber on the few occasions she comes out and be with in sight if her.

mightymet

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346714746.309447.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346714803.894694.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346714818.592373.jpg
Called this one trails end. It's really about half way back on a heavily used trail. We just hope it's the end of the trail for the deer. It's our last 21 footer. Had to do a bit of trimming on the shooting lanes but they look good. Maybe about a 25 minute walk back.

mightymet

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346715003.314166.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346715049.874799.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346715072.023555.jpg
No name yet. Maybe cross roads. It appears to be a intersection of sorts. 16 foot single. Just a little trimming. This is about a 30 minute walk back. Faces west. Not sure how I feel about this one yet. But time will tell.

mightymet

I get a little crazy with posting some times but it's more for me then everyone else. I like to share what I'm doing. My friend and I along with my son put in a lot of work here. I just like to have a record of it. I hope others enjoy.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Good stuff man. I like the names & I'm sure the hard work you guys put in will pay off. Good luck out there!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I get a little crazy with posting some times but it's more for me then everyone else. I like to share what I'm doing. My friend and I along with my son put in a lot of work here. I just like to have a record of it. I hope others enjoy.

We love the content man and I k ow exactly what you are saying! Post away. The stand names are awesome TOO!!! :smiley_clap:

patmc81

Can't wait for the season. It has been frustrating getting everything up and running properly. We do have a somewhat nice camper out there to (nice enough to sleep in and keep us warm and dry). We did do a lot to hopefully get some deer this year.

mightymet

Thanks guys. It's great to have somewhere to share thus stuff. Patmc and I have worked hard all summer on this.along with my son. With out them I could not have made this happen. We even got my wife to come out today and give us a hand.

mightymet

I also need to thank the property owner. He has been nothing but gracious about the whole thing. He even brush hogged us a path a couple weeks ago.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

You are not alone. Many of us feel the same, myself included. I type too much. lmao

Good luck this year.

One question. Curious why it takes so long to get to these stands if it is a 30acre property. Seems like some long walks.

mightymet

Welcome to TOO!

Nice stands. Curious - can you explain your preference of ladder stands over other methods?

Well, to start with we are not in public land so we can set up permanently. I personally don't care for the hang ons. I'm not as comfortable in them as I am a ladder stand. With the ladder if you have a strap failure you at least have the two ropes an the ladder to hold you up. Not so with a hang on. Also ultimately these ladder stands are way cheaper than the cost of a hang on and sticks. We paid $129 each for the 21 footers. Another reason is I have a quad and a trailer we built to haul them back with. This way the weight is not an issue. hang ons are much lighter. I guess that's it. I do love my climber. It's like a nice recliner once I'm up the tree. And if I want I can drag that out to.