Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sight preferences, for a hunting handgun?

I'm going to purchase a Ruger Bisley Hunter, in .44 Mag., for deer hunting. I'm sure it'll get used for coyotes and groundhogs too. I've always been an open sights kind of handgunner, but I've tried crosshair and red dot scopes. My favorite between these two would be the red dot. I had one on both my Ruger 22/45 and Browning Buckmark .22 and loved the set up.

If I install a red dot on my Bisley, it's going to have to be a good one or the guts will get jarred out of it. :smiley_blackeye: Otherwise, I'll be using the open sights.

What is your preference for a type of sights, on a hunting handgun?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

mightymet

I would go with the red dot. You won't be taking any crazy long shots where you would need to adjust for distance.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have both and like both. The Burris is a lot lower profile and a bit lighter. You can get a dovetail mount for it but it only has a one year warranty. The Vortex is lifetime. I would get the SPARC for the warranty.

Beentown said:
I have both and like both. The Burris is a lot lower profile and a bit lighter. You can get a dovetail mount for it but it only has a one year warranty. The Vortex is lifetime. I would get the SPARC for the warranty.
Beentown,
I'd prefer the Burris or another one like it, perhaps a different brand...since you mentioned a warranty (is there a need for one, due to recoil?). My 2 reasons: 1. They're smaller/lighter and 2. Are easier to sight with or look through. The tubed styled red dots tend to make me close one eye, due to the way they're designed.

Bowhunter57

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have had a 2X Leupold on and off my Redhawk for over 10 years now.(with the weaver low profile base) I have harvested deer with it as well as hogs in FL. however the scope is not very forgiving. I have considered going to a red dot in a 30 mil or something like that as it has also cost me a couple of deer too. It has been used with the open sights on occasion as well...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have had a 2X Leupold on and off my Redhawk for over 10 years now.(with the weaver low profile base) I have harvested deer with it as well as hogs in FL. however the scope is not very forgiving. I have considered going to a red dot in a 30 mil or something like that as it has also cost me a couple of deer too. It has been used with the open sights on occasion as well...

That is what I have on mine as well. When I choose to use the 44 again I will be using it open sights or with a red dot. Even with the extended eye relief, there is very little room for forgiveness.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I used a Burris 2 power with a dot for 20 yrs with no problem and took 19 deer in Ohio shooting 240 & 310 gr lead bullets.
I switched to a Red Dot scope and sold the scoped Ruger 44 mag.
I use a discontinued 50MM Weaver Red Dot on my S&W Classic Deluxe in 44 Mag. I shoot 240 and 310 gr. lead bullets. Have shot 500-600 and no problems.
Couple years ago I bought a Ruger SS Bisley Hunter in 44 Mag and installed a Ultra Dot brand 30MM Red Dot with no problems with 240 & 310 gr lead bullets. Before the Ultra Dot I had a Tasco Pro Dot and it was no problem either.
I will never go back to a scoped hunting pistol for deer.
I mainly hunt in my woods and with a scoped pistol and I seemed to loose alot on shooting time in the morning and evening. No such thing happens with the Red Dot.
Frank

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
So far the FirstStrike is a crap shoot.

I am of the mind of pay once, cry once but I am also a cheap skate. I would get the Burris FastFire ($199) before the Bushy as it is new and working the bugs out. The Doctor you can pick up for $249 and they are proven.

I don't buy cheap red dots. The only cheap one I trust is the Bushnell TRS-25 ($89). Truglo, Tasco, Sightmark, and those cheap chinese RDS's are disposable.

At least with those above you have some sort of resale. A Truglo that runs $69 you would be lucky to get $20 later. The FastFire sells used for $160. So in the long run you loose less buying better IMHO.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I have 3 Millett sp-1 red dots. One on a Super Redhawk .44, one on the boys .410 slug gun, and one on my old crossbow. I have not had issues with any of them and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have 3 Millett sp-1 red dots. One on a Super Redhawk .44, one on the boys .410 slug gun, and one on my old crossbow. I have not had issues with any of them and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

I have had good luck with Milletts in the past also.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I am going up when they have their next ammo sale. It is the best in the State for FTF ammo transactions (shotgun and NATO rounds at least).

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I am going up when they have their next ammo sale. It is the best in the State for FTF ammo transactions (shotgun and NATO rounds at least).

I would have to see their prices. We sell ammo at the Lima, Dayton, Sharonville gunshows and no one beats our prices on case lots.
bowhunter57 goes to the Lima show. With OTD prices.
Frank