Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My First Crossbow Kill

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I thought I'd share my story about my first crossbow kill and what got me hooked on hunting.

I was hunting a feeder and Rick had gone with me since all of this was still new to me. We were on the ground and sitting in front of a blow-down next to one of the deer trails.

After we had been there a short while, I heard lots and lots of leaves crunching. This crunching was so loud that I thought a person was walking through the woods.

To my surprise, I saw a doe out of the corner of my eye. My first thought was that she was going to turn and run. She was so close to me that I could have stretched out my arm and touched her.

I just completely froze.

She walked up a couple more feet, stopped and looked Rick dead in the face. Neither of us moved a muscle and a couple of seconds later she continued down the path towards the deer feeder.

As soon as she got several feet in front of me, I slowly raised my bow. When she was about 20 feet away, I pulled the trigger.

I didn't know then to compensate for the close distance, so my shot was high and I spined her. She dropped immediately.

Right as she dropped, another doe that had been following her, came within my range of vision. It turned tail and ran.

That was it and I am hooked for life. Not only was the hunt successful, but to me, it was so much fun being looked in the face and still going undetected, that makes it half the fun.

I love going into the woods and seeing if I can sneak in or out without being noticed.

Whether or not I actually “bring home the bacon” is only half of the hunt to me. I like the challenge of seeing how invisible I can be.

I'll post later with a picture/story of my buck, but here is the picture of this hunt which was 5 years ago.

my-first-crossbow-kill-21302058.jpg

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
then there is the complete opposite. When you are sitting as still as can be and they still bust you! Thats frustrating.

thanks for sharing the story. hope you get another one this year.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Great "first deer" story! Its always a rush to be that close to one in the woods. :smiley_bril:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
That was fun Diane. Will never forget it! I can still hear you saying "That was Cool!" Now can we hear about the crossbow going off and shooting a hole in my new blind? :tantrum: rotflmao

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Now can we hear about the crossbow going off and shooting a hole in my new blind?

I'll be happy to tell that story. Just as soon as you tell all of us about shooting the hole in your brand new tire! :smiley_arrogant:

Maybe we can start a new thread and hear about everyone's screw-ups? Sounds like fun to me! I'll post one up!