Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

a day of ups and downs

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
So I finally got a couple days off work. That is definately an up. My only plan for the day was to go to the shooting range at delaware and finally, once and for all get my muzzle loader sighted in.
The first step was to go to the odnr site and get a range pass for the day. To bad the printer was out of ink. I had to go to three different places to find the right cartridge. This delay could have become a down if it wasnt for the fact that while at walmart to get the cartridge, I checked out the hunting section and bought a pack of powerbelts, I'll get to that a little later.
I got back home to find my daughter was in the shower. great! she takes FOREVER in there and I still needed to get my contacts in.
On a side note, what is it with teenage girs in the bathroom? She was in there for over an hour. the water ran long enough that i was sure the only reason she got out was because she ran out of hot water. when she finally came out I asked her where she was going.

"nowhere"

Huh, you were in the bathroom for more than an hour primping and preening and you arent going anywhere? WTF?

Oh well, I finally got my contacts and off I go, 2 hours later than I wanted to, but whatever, at least i'm on my way.

I arrived at the shooting range at delaware around noon. Man was it hot out there, which was actually a good thing because there werent many people there and I got right on a bench.

After doing some reading and asking you guys a few questions, I determined that the accuracy issues with my muzzy were due to the fact that I hadnt found the proper load / bullet combination yet. I spread out my stuff... I had 200, 250, 300 grain TC shockwaves. I also had the pack of 250 grain powerbelt aeros that i bought that morning.
I also had 50 grain and 30 grain 777 pellets. as well as 2 different brands of primer. If there wasnt a combination to be found in that I might as well give up.

My first shots were with the standard 250 grain bullet / 100 grain load. Low left and all 3 shots were pread out to about a 4 inch group at 50 yards. My next three shots were with the power belts and 100 grain 777. that worked much better still low left, but a nice tight group. a few scope adjustments and my next shot was about 1 inch above the bull.

So I moved the target out to 100 yards and I'll be damned if they didnt hit the same spot as the last shot at 50. very little drop and a three shot group of about 2 to 3 inches. looks like I'm done. Heres the downer though, what do I do with all these other bullets? I might play aound with the 30 grain pellets, see if a + or - of ten grains will have an effect on the shots, but I have no use for these shockwaves. I am sold on the power belts.

My next thing to do was to figure out what was going on with my .22. I had it all dialed in a couple weeks ago, but missed a groundhog at 40 yards the other day. I got up to go move my target back to 50 yards and get the .22 out and I accidentaly bumped my binos. They fell to the ground and shattered one of the objective lenses. CRAP!!! definately a down.
On he bright side I have been wanting a new pair anyway. Now I have a reason. Will have to wait till tax time but I'm getting new binos.

Turns out the problem with the .22 was a loose scope ring. tightened it up and I'm shooting good now.

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Dang dante go to the hot water tank and close the hot water valve....that will fix the woman issue....i have some binos your welcome to use for the season if that helps you out brother.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
....i have some binos your welcome to use for the season if that helps you out brother.

I appreciate that. I might take you up on it.

Sounds like a trying day Dante. Glad you got things dialed in.

I wouldnt say "trying". Just a typical day for me. having a couple days off work is enough to make anything seem insignificant.

ohio
My last two days have been up and down as well, yesterday driving around trying to find a new property, found one asked and the answer was yes!!! Awesome 30+ of woods 60 corn and a pinch point with awesome sign and oaks everywhere! Today I go to hang some stands got one Hung and lanes cut hanging the second bear in mind its a buddy stand at the pinch point in the back of the property and I hear a guy yelling hey you in the woods, figuring it was the guy who gave me permission. So I walk back to the jeep and this asshole starts screaming at me how I'm not allowed to be there I need to get the fugg out and never come back, I said I have a signed permission slip, he said by who that worthless fugg that lives here rent free? I said the guy in the house? He said yeah. So to make a long story short I should have never got permission and it makes me sick cause it was a hotspot! Sorry for the rant.