Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First hard horn

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
How old you think he is JD???? 3.5? Upper 120's??? Maybe low 130's???? Trying too get better at the aging scoring thing this year.....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'd have said less than 120 at 2.5. Still skinny on all fronts.

Dammit..... one of these days I'll get it.... I look at the eye too tip of nose and try too gage the age doing that but maybe that's not that accurate.....

droptine76

Medina
Nice to see them loosing the Velvet. It is a sign the season will be here soon. I am checking my cameras this weekend after a 3 week soak. I am hoping to get some in both phases.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We went out to my buddy's place today. His "pet" Sammy shed yesterday. That deer is docile as can be when he is shed or in velvet, but Dean made the kids stay away from the fence today. Apparently he is a lot more grumpy as soon as he sheds velvet and will stick ya any chance he gets. He didn't get too grumpy with us, but it was apparent that he wasn't in the mood to have his nose rubbed today. :)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Got one of them today as well. I was fortunate (or unfortunate) to see him on the hoof as I drove my truck along the lane around the corn field as well. He looked great, but I was ticked to have bumped him. Then again, I went out in the pouring rain to check cameras. I never thought I would bump any.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Got one of them today as well. I was fortunate (or unfortunate) to see him on the hoof as I drove my truck along the lane around the corn field as well. He looked great, but I was ticked to have bumped him. Then again, I went out in the pouring rain to check cameras. I never thought I would bump any.

I don't believe bumping deer in or on a vehicle is the same as being on foot. Seems when I am on the Tractor or 4 wheeler, they aren't as spooked.
Kinda cool you got to see him in the flesh though.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That deer is fine Phil!

I still had everything in velvet at my new farm as of Sunday, but I'm sure I'll have hard horned pics to drool over next card pull!!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would say you guys are right. Just sort of ticks you off to bump any deer a few weeks away from season opener. He is not on my hit list this year anyway. Beautiful buck though.