Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trail cam Question, to hunt or not to...

MandRroofing

In the woods
If you are not getting any pics youd like to see from a cam all summer,Do you still hunt that spot even if it has produced last year but its not looking good this year as far as pics go?Do you still hunt it of do you trust the cam?

Diablo54

Outside
Don't trust the cam. There's a difference beetween seeing deer in the summer time and seeing them in the fall, the feet will move food scources will change and do will patterns. The bucks I'm watching on one farm are all staying in one area. Come season they will spread out all over. They do it every year. They leave the fields and go to acorns. Problem is finding the right acorns. I could hang cameras in what will be a great spot come season and not get a picture until the crops change.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
IMO it all depends on the type of spot. As diablo said, summer time patterns differ from autumn patterns... sometimes only slightly, other times the difference is night and day. Personally, I run the cams mainly for inventory and I rely on my own experience and judgement for making decisions on where to hunt.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
IMO it all depends on the type of spot. As diablo said, summer time patterns differ from autumn patterns... sometimes only slightly, other times the difference is night and day. Personally, I run the cams mainly for inventory and I rely on my own experience and judgement for making decisions on where to hunt.

I agree with this 100%.

Gordo

Athens County
He may have also meant in terms of certain deer being masters of avoiding cameras.

I haven't been running cams long enough to really know, but I do believe that some mature bucks will avoid an inventory cam because he knows something 'isn't right' with the pile of goodies you've put there for him.