Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

German shorthair?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have a very active 9 year old son...I mean he runs like Forrest Gump, non-stop. So yesterday we went fishing over at my neighbor's pond an hour or so before dark. The neigbor and I fished while Mason played with their weimeryner (know idea how to spell that). I mean he and that dog were in and out of the other end of the pond all evening, throwing sticks, baseballs, whatever he could find. He loves that dog. I thought to myelf that it would be good for Mason to have a "smart" dog to play with like that, and then on the way home it started. Non-stop yacking about wanting a lab, or weimer...whatever. I can't really argue against it.

So today I called a buddy that owns a phesant presserve. He has a ton of bird dogs and trains them for others as well. He is partial to GSH, admittedly. He has 6 pups that are now 5 weeks old, offered me a good deal and even insisted that we take him up on his offer to "help Mason train his dog". That in itself is a huge value as I know his dog-training isn't cheap.

So my question is have any of you had a GSH, and was or is it a good family breed? We don't bird hunt much, so we are gonna have to make a new dog a family member. Any thoughts on these things?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dogs are what you put in them and a GSH is the kind of dog that will make you and Mason happy IMO. I've never had one, but have been around a few and they were good dogs. I'm obviously a lab guy, but moreso I'm a sporting/working dog guy and most of the breeds in those classes make great dogs when properly loved and trained. Sounds to me like you found a dog!!!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'd like to think so too, Jesse! Lathe and I went over to Dean's place and shot some birds a couple of years ago. His dogs amazed me. I guess over the years I've become accustomed to our beagles- they know exactly what you are asking or telling them to do, and it's just a matter of if they feel like obeying or not. :) I think we will enjoy having a dog like this... And heck, we might even start bird hunting again. I haven't shot a wild bird in 20 years aside from a dove or turkey.

patmc81

Uncle used to breed them. They are Great dogs and very obedient. His last one would walk right next to him till he stopped walking then the dog would stop and sit. They are kinda high strung for the fist 3 to 4 years. But they do love to run and are fast dogs as well.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks for the information! We will probably go ahead and get one. Dean doesn't have a "bad" dog, and the fact that he thinks these pups will all be great is about as close to a guarantee as I'm likely to get. Add in the fact that he's willing to work with the dog and I'd be nuts not to take him up on it. Pretty sure Mason will be pretty excited next week when we go out there to see the pups.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I used to have one. He was a good dog but they are tempremental as hell and moody as a woman at times. They defindtly like to run and mine even ran rabbits. They are dogs that definetly develop a personality.

Big H

Medina
My dad used to raise them and took them to Iowa, Nebraska and SD pheasant hunting. A GSP was my first dog, and the first dog I trained. As long as you get good hunting bloodlines and not field trial/show you will be very pleased. They are a very versatile dog and are used for much more than just bird hunting, do a search on them and you will see. They are a great family dog and BTW, every boy should grow up with own dog anyhow.....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Like stated lots of energy and you need too keep them active or they become a nuisance.... gotta work the energy out of them either running them in the field or long walks.... perfect for an energetic young lad.....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks for the tips, fellas. I think young Mason will give most any dog a work out. He already has his own beagle, and he does well with her. It's just that the beagle(s) aren't into playing fetch and going for a swim in the pond sorta thing. I actually called Dean to see what he thought about various breeds, and he gave me his opinion on several. Of course he does have GSP and lab pup right now but suggest the shorthair. I've been around his adult short hairs and they are great dogs. As he pointed out, he doesn't have one that is disobedient, or shy. If they don't come on command, they aren't his dogs. I like dogs that seem to understand English. Should be fun.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I think for you guys they would be OK but...

Smart
Eager to please
Obsessive
Needs CONSTANT stimulation if not exercised pretty hard on a consistant basis.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This lil guy is sharp. We've had him two days, and I swear he knows his name! He seems to be a big fan of dove wings too. I have one tied to a fishing pole to drag around. Sometimes he tries to point, sometimes he tries to kill. Funny stuff to see! Here he is trying to point.

Attachments

• Madison-20120910-00370.jpg
    Madison-20120910-00370.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 125

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't know how I missed this one. Hank is a GSP. Great dogs. Tons of energy. Should keep your youngins busy. Hank is a kennel dog. Takes a good hour of letting him get the piss and vinegar out of him to be ready to work. He will be 4 in December. When he is working though, it is amazing. He is pretty big but extremely gentle. I think you have made a pretty good choice. I am sure it will work out great!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
He will be a great dog with a little time I'm sure..but he is wearing my bride out right now. Ha! Lil guy gets into everything if you turn your back on him.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wish we could have made Hank a house dog, but we already had a boxer in the house. Two dogs over 70lbs was a bit much. Add in the fact he was a year and a half when we got him and never been a house dog would just make it tougher. Poor ol' Hank is a big sissy but he has zero house manners. You guys should be fine though bringing this dog in as a pup. Train him up from the start and it will certainly help. Can't wait to see future updates on him Brock!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have no intention of letting this dog stay in the house... My bride, however, tends to win these sort of battles and I would venture a guess that she will not like him in a kennel. We have gates up right now to keep him in the kitchen but the little turd climbs over them. Gotta watch him all the time! I want to go fishing here in a little bit so I am thinking he might get his first boat ride today just because I don't want to put him in the cage while I go.