Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fantasy football 2012

Gordo

Athens County
Any other gambling degenerates out there?

I've managed to get myself trapped into 3 leagues this year. Not to big of $$$ involved, but enough to make it worth keepin up on.

1 draft down, 2 more to go.

Anyone else in on any leagues?

Gordo

Athens County
This is only my second year playing. I'm in a weekly poker game every Monday with the same group of guys so I was able to get in there league last year. It makes for some great shit talking and puts a new spin on watching Monday night football when were playing cards.

You draft yet Jesse?

Gordo

Athens County
I like that hole carry over two players idea cotty. I'm trying to talk these guys into doing that one of these years. The poker game has been going on for 10+ years so the core group isn't going anywhere.

It would be awesome to b able to trade draft picks and such in the long haul and keep building your team through the years.

That draft happened already and I'm feeling pretty good about it, but with only 8 people everyone looks good on paper

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just had my draft this past Sunday. I'm in my brother's NFL.com league with about 10 or 12 other guys. We've been doing it for the past 4 years or so, but this is the first year using NFL.com... we used to always use ESPN's platform... so we'll see how it goes. I had a shitty first pick because I was next to last in draft order. I took a gamble and picked up Cam Newton as my #1. He blew shit up as a rookie, and left a ton of room for improvement, so I'm anticipating big things from him this season. Here's how my starters look...

QB - Cam Newton
RB - Willis McGahee
RB - Maurice Jones-Drew
WR - Percy Harvin
WR - Marques Colston
TE - Vernon Davis
W/R - Lance Moore
K - Matt Prater
DEF - Green Bay Packers

Oh, and my team name is 'Wreck of the Larry Fitzgerald.' lol ...a little Gordon Lightfoot pun. :)

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I like that hole carry over two players idea cotty. I'm trying to talk these guys into doing that one of these years. The poker game has been going on for 10+ years so the core group isn't going anywhere.

It would be awesome to b able to trade draft picks and such in the long haul and keep building your team through the years.

That draft happened already and I'm feeling pretty good about it, but with only 8 people everyone looks good on paper

It's been pretty cool over the years. I drafted Bledsoe as a rookie and had him forever. Now that I think about it, we've had this league for about 20 years. Geez!

Had Curtis Martin for quite a few years too. It's pretty net protecting guys because they become your franchise. Or the last 5 years I've Maurice Jones Drew and Stephen Jackson. Then it's just fill in the roster spots after that.

My brother had emmit smith for most of his career

Last edited:

Gordo

Athens County
Cam newtons a real gamble! I hope he doesn't hit the sophomore slump. I was weak at quarterback last year and made sure to use an early pick on one. Here's my starters for week one in the 'big money' league.

Matt stafford(took a shot at rg3 with my second quarterback hoping he breaks out like cam did last year)
Lesean Mcoy
Marshawn lynch
Roddy white
Marquise colston
Steve Johnson
Jeremichael Finley
Sebastian janikowski
49ers defense/special teams

I'm liking my chances

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Me and my poker buddies are on our 6th year. We play a 2 qb league with more points based on big plays and passing. I drew the 8th spot in our 10 team leaugue so I traded that pick for the guys 2nd and 3rd rd pick and it paid off bigtime. I have Eli and Big Ben as my 2 qb's. I had Chris johnson but traded for Matt Forte (bears fan). MJD, Gronk, Miles austin, eric decker and jordy nelson

Gordo

Athens County
Me and my poker buddies are on our 6th year. We play a 2 qb league with more points based on big plays and passing. I drew the 8th spot in our 10 team leaugue so I traded that pick for the guys 2nd and 3rd rd pick and it paid off bigtime. I have Eli and Big Ben as my 2 qb's. I had Chris johnson but traded for Matt Forte (bears fan). MJD, Gronk, Miles austin, eric decker and jordy nelson

Now that's a solid draft, especially considering 10 teams.

I was in a more high scoring league like that last year. The prob was I thought it was standard and didn't realize qb touchdowns where worth 6 points, and you started two qb's. I also missed the draft so it was auto picked based on the pre season projections. Needless to say I was fugged and pissed at the same time. Of course the guy who set up the league took Rodgers and Brady with his first two picks. Everyone was pissed once they figured out he tinkered with the scoring settings. It was a straight up qb league and people where passing on top ten quarterbacks for wr's and rb's.

Needless to say After giving him shit all last year about it, I'm skipping out on his league.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Jones-Drew and Stephen Jackson are solid picks. Point players right there. Only other solid QB I would be interested in is Drew Brees..That guy is a stud of a QB and gets you tons of points.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I've been in two leagues for about ten years. My wife actually was in one before me because she worked with mostly men and has won the league a few times. She doesn't know much about football, so that tells you sometimes it is just luck! This year a guy in our neighborhood started a dads/kids league so it should be interesting. I have a league drafting tonight and one friday night.

Gordo

Athens County
So true about the luck part.

My sisters neighbor was having a league this year that she wanted to get in on. He told her 'if you havent played before it would b like just throwin money away.

I told her that was bullshit and got her in another league. People who are clueless win leagues all the time, even using auto draft!

Thats why its fun!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Jones-Drew and Stephen Jackson are solid picks. Point players right there. Only other solid QB I would be interested in is Drew Brees..That guy is a stud of a QB and gets you tons of points.

Cam Newton has potential to be the top QB, as does Stafford. Titus Young is a great mid/late pickup. He could have #1 wr numbers. Same with Decker. Ryan Williams will be a great pickup at RB that most people wont even know who he is. He will end up a solid starter in Arizona instead of Beanie Wells

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
You can focus on RB and QB early. There are a ton of point producing WR's going mid to late rounds. The NFL is all about the passing game which opens up alot of possibilities at WR later on. If you pick late in the first round and early 2nd, I would maybe target Gronkowski or Graham at TE. After those 2 the dropoff is ridiculous. Its a huge advantage having someone like that at the very least doubling your opponents option at TE. If you don't get one of those, get one in the 7th rd or later like Gresham or the TE from Detroit who I cant think of right now. A real sleeper at TE you can probably get real late is Jacob Tamme of Denver. He played with Manning and produced bigtime when Dallas Clark was hurt. McGahee at Denver will get alot of TD's as well. Manning loves to audible to runs in the redzone. As you can see I'm quite the fantasy nut. Im in 4 Money leagues and usually do quite well

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
QBs and RBs are where the points are at in most fantasy leagues... The point system for each league will determine which one holds more weight over the other. With Megatron as his main target, Matt Stafford can be an absolute fantasy scoring machine... that is, as long as he stays healthy. LeSean McCoy is the same way. The Eagles have a running game and that's pretty much it. I always draft a QB or RB as my first pick.

Gordo

Athens County
No love for TE jeremichael finley of the pack? I loved that pick! I think he may lead tight ends this year across the board. Is that a stretch?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We drafted already. Here is how I am sitting...

I am playing Schaub this weekend because my team (Dolphins and I use "my team" loosely these days) has a shitty defense. There was a screw up in the post draft roster assignment and I ended up with Michael Jenkins where I should have had Greg Jennings. I love Jenkins for being a Buckeye, but he sucks and as NFL wide out and doesn't have any one to get him the ball even if he was a play maker. I like Finley as you can see...