Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Grunting To Stop A Buck

RUT NUT

Who here does it and why or why not? I personally have never done it. I've watched a ton of hunting shows and it seems like when people grunt or make any other kind of noise to stop a buck....the buck tends to be more prone to dropping after the arrow is released. Has anyone else noticed this? It seems to me like after you grunt to stop them they are on high alert and notice the sound of the bow more then if you were to just wait until they stop on their own. I've actually let deer walk because they never stopped on their own. Now if a 200 inch deer would happen to be walking in front of me and showed no signs of stopping on its own....I don't know if I could hold back from making a soft grunt to stop him or not. Haha! My worst fear is a nice buck ducking my arrow. Or even worse....dropping to the point of where my point of impact isn't in a fatal spot and wounding it. But this is all coming from a guy who's bow never leaves his hand while in his stand. Haha! I've always been afraid of missing out on an opportunity because a deer busted me while reaching for my bow. I try to stay as still and quite as I can in the stand. I like to let my arrow fly when a deer is calm. When a deer gets rattled....it rattles the shit out of me! Haha!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Who here does it and why or why not? I personally have never done it. I've watched a ton of hunting shows and it seems like when people grunt or make any other kind of noise to stop a buck....the buck tends to be more prone to dropping after the arrow is released. Has anyone else noticed this? It seems to me like after you grunt to stop them they are on high alert and notice the sound of the bow more then if you were to just wait until they stop on their own. I've actually let deer walk because they never stopped on their own. Now if a 200 inch deer would happen to be walking in front of me and showed no signs of stopping on its own....I don't know if I could hold back from making a soft grunt to stop him or not. Haha! My worst fear is a nice buck ducking my arrow. Or even worse....dropping to the point of where my point of impact isn't in a fatal spot and wounding it. But this is all coming from a guy who's bow never leaves his hand while in his stand. Haha! I've always been afraid of missing out on an opportunity because a deer busted me while reaching for my bow. I try to stay as still and quite as I can in the stand. I like to let my arrow fly when a deer is calm. When a deer gets rattled....it rattles the shit out of me! Haha!

"No Mans Land" That area in the top of the back...
Now where was that thread?

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I make noises to stop them quite a bit. Last year the buck I shot was in hot pursuit of a doe and I had to make several loud "maaaaaaappppsss" before I got his attention and finally stopped him at 8 yards. He was dead less than a minute later.

It really depends on what the buck is doing when he comes within range of your setup. Most of the deer I have shot with a bow were moving right along on a mission, which is usually the case during the pre rut in late October and the rut in November. I have shot a couple bucks while they were tending a scrape, but I would say 75% of them have had to be stopped. The most important thing you need to do to make this work is to make sure you are already at full draw and ready to settle the pin on his shoulder before making a noise to stop him.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I know for sure last year I did not. :smiley_chinrub: I can only think of one time that I mouth grunted to stop a buck that I ended up shooting. I did stop a buck for my wife during shotgun season with a mouth grunt, but that's different thatn having them on alert with a bow.

Gordo

Athens County
It was a lousy excuse for a grunt but last time i did that the fuggar took about 5 extra steps and stopped and looked directly up at me about 12 yards away. Problem was there was about a 6 inch tree directly over his vitals. I tried to squeeze one in between his shoulder and the tree. The rest is history...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346239935.506224.jpg

And 'ghost buck' lived. The lucky son o biotch

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346240031.496222.jpg

Not sure why at 12 yards with my setup i was so worried about hitting his shoulder. Damn

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I never have. Every doe I have shot has been feeding and was no problem waiting on them to stop for a shot. First buck was with shotgun. Second buck stopped and was rubbing on a tree. Guess I will see if I remember to stop him if the moment ever arrives again.

Big H

Medina
Sometimes, it all depends on what he is doing. If you have one come through cruising you have no choice, otherwise he will keep going. I have stopped them with a short baaa if they aren't going to stop on their own. But as Gern said, you need to be at full draw and ready to settle your pin as soon as he stops.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I make noises to stop them quite a bit. Last year the buck I shot was in hot pursuit of a doe and I had to make several loud "maaaaaaappppsss" before I got his attention and finally stopped him at 8 yards. He was dead less than a minute later.

It really depends on what the buck is doing when he comes within range of your setup. Most of the deer I have shot with a bow were moving right along on a mission, which is usually the case during the pre rut in late October and the rut in November. I have shot a couple bucks while they were tending a scrape, but I would say 75% of them have had to be stopped. The most important thing you need to do to make this work is to make sure you are already at full draw and ready to settle the pin on his shoulder before making a noise to stop him.

I fall in line with Chad here. I've shot a handful of deer that didn't require a peep from me to get a standing shot. The buck I killed in 2008 took several bleats to get his attention because of the high winds. The buck I killed in 2010 was on a mission and I practically yelled at him to get him to stop. He slammed on the brakes before I was ever at full draw. He was focused straight ahead when the Slick Trick zipped through his lungs/liver at 30 yards. Another deer and another day, that could have been a recipe for disaster. But I'll do what it takes to stop them unless they are moving slowly and within 15-20 yards or closer...

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Since I haven't bow hunted yet I never had to stop one for a shot. But the big buck in 2000 I did turn him 4 times when he wanted to turn and walk away to get him in range.
Frank

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've never had to stop one yet on any of the bucks I have shot. I guess I've been fortunate in that. I tried it once on a nice buck that was moving quick across a field while hunting with my oldest boy, but the buck either didn't hear me or wasn't interested.
I suppose I'll do it if I have to, but I'd rather shoot at a buck in a relaxed state then put them on alert. But, if it's needed as a last resort, how do you NOT do it?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Wanted to stop a buck once but had a mouthful of dip-spit and couldn't get anything out
Grunted at my gun-buck last year stopped him and shot him. Haven't had to otherwise.

But I like grunting. Do it in the office sometimes just for fun.

Buckmaster

Portage
I'd say about 30% of my deer are shot right after I give them a baaahhhh. You only have about a half second before they realize DANGER. It works.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Wanted to stop a buck once but had a mouthful of dip-spit and couldn't get anything out
Grunted at my gun-buck last year stopped him and shot him. Haven't had to otherwise.

But I like grunting. Do it in the office sometimes just for fun.

lol Dan!

If I have to grunt(Baaap) stop them I will but already being at full draw and settling the pin is a must. Aiming a scooch low doesn't hurt any either.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sometimes, it all depends on what he is doing. If you have one come through cruising you have no choice, otherwise he will keep going. I have stopped them with a short baaa if they aren't going to stop on their own. But as Gern said, you need to be at full draw and ready to settle your pin as soon as he stops.

This ^^^

I have done it several times to stop deer that were walking and needed to get them to stop in an opening. Can't think of any that tried to duck the arrow though. The noise I make is more of a deep grunt and not the typical 'baaaa' or whistle. Would say that maybe most of the reason they duck is because they are now looking in the hunter's direction and at the sound of the bow going off they either spot the arrow or perhaps the hunter(s), all their camera gear & movement.

Last edited:

patmc81

I got lucky on mine he stopped at twenty and looked away, I was ready to grunt at him tho.