Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dove, Squirrel and Goose- Saturday

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Been a long time since I set my sight on a Fox Squirrel
Opening day is this saturday: 9/1/12-1/31/13--(6 a day)

Dove- 9/1/12-10/21/12 and 12/15/12-1/2/13--(15 a day)

Also opening in a woods or waterway near you;
Rails-9-1-12--11/9/12 (25 a day)
Common Snipe-9/1/12--11/25/12 and 12/15/12-1/4/13 (8 a day)
Teal-blue and green-9/1/12-9/16/12 (4 a day)
Canada Goose 9/1/12-9/15/12 (only 4 a day???)

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Goose actually runs through 9/15 and I agree on the "WTF" on 4 a day!!!

I hope to get after some geese during the early season, but still don't have a spot I like, nor do I have the ability to call them like I need. I won't shoot squirrels until a frost because of warbles. Don't have any places to dove hunt either. May be a boring weekend!!!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Thanks Jesse.Fixed it.

First frost... Only then would Gramp start hunting bunnies. Its a old, old rule of thumb.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This will be the first opening day of dove season Mason and I have missed in several years. He isn't happy about it as he loves to run through ammo. We are going fishing in NY and not returning until Monday. I'm sure we will be out Monday evening or Tuesday at the latest. Hard to believe it's that time of year already!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Might tote the 10/22 out to the woods Saturday morning and hang a cam and try to knock down a squirrel, just for some fresh air and relaxation mostly!

epe

Lancaster
Jesse, early geese are so dumb, you don't even need to call. We have shot at a group, knocked some down, and had em come right back.. Nothing like normal-late season... If you want to knock some down next weekend I can call for you, could even throw in my 3 dozen real geese decoys in the car...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse, early geese are so dumb, you don't even need to call. We have shot at a group, knocked some down, and had em come right back.. Nothing like normal-late season... If you want to knock some down next weekend I can call for you, could even throw in my 3 dozen real geese decoys in the car...

I have 11 full bodies I could add. I have a flute I can run, but just don't have any grasp of short reed calling. I'd love to get out next weekend if we can swing it! I'm thinking about taking Friday off, so that would be a great morning to go if we can get it together...

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I will be out. Im taking my 7 year old nephew out into the woods for the first time. He's just gonna go along with the binocs. I wanna see if he has the patience to do it. He's practiced with the pellet gun but never shot the .22 so im gonna hold off on the shooting part

epe

Lancaster
I have 11 full bodies I could add. I have a flute I can run, but just don't have any grasp of short reed calling. I'd love to get out next weekend if we can swing it! I'm thinking about taking Friday off, so that would be a great morning to go if we can get it together...

I don't have any spots down there.besides the river.. If you have one we can hit it. If I bring my motorcycle down, I will drive the truck and I will throw some of my fully flocked full bodies in...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Right now I'm planning on food-plotting all day Saturday... and I have to leave here EARLY. I have several harvested wheat and sileage fields that are stuffed full of doves, though... so I might be able to get a quick limit in before hitting the road. Geese are probably going to have to wait until Sunday and Monday.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Gonna hopefully massacre geese all weekend . We will see how it goes but i am hoping for a body count in the upper30's to mid 40's after the weekend.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Well, doesnt look like I am gonna get to hunt sunday morning now. Freaking sucks . Maybe I will be able to pull a evening hunt tho? Good luck this weekend guys. Be safe and have fun.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Be careful out there tomorrow!

417409_419190634813026_361764644_n.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Good luck out there guys. Stay safe, be smart, and let's have an awesome season.