Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Homemade packable tree saw for $6

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I am not sure about you guys but I always seem to have this one problem when out putting up setups. That is when I finally get into the stand and look for shooting lanes, it never fails that there is one limb with a bunch of leaves on another tree that I can't reach with my Hooyman saw from the stand and its a good 15-20' off the ground. So this leaves me with three options.

1. Leave the limb in the shooting lane and hope for the best. (Sorry that isn't happening).
2. Drag in a extension pole saw that can reach up to 20'. (Also not a option cause I am not buying one and that is just something else cumbersome to carry in with my stands, climbing sticks, and other equipment).
3. Climb and shimmy up the tree like some kind of monkey to get the limb chopped off. (This has been the option taken up till now. As I am aging though it is becoming less enjoyable and very rough on the body).

So I was talking with a fella at work about my dilemma and looking for solutions. He came up with this idea. (He is a member by the way just not very talkative yet. Thanks and credit goes to Quacksmacker on this one). We know it is already out there but buy putting some things together from around the house I have less than $6 in the whole thing and I can take it into any setup in my pack.

Here is the whole thing in one hand for size reference.
uploadfromtaptalk1346197214454.jpg

The total parts needed for this project was.
1. 18" chainsaw chain.
2. 40' 550 parachord.
3. A pouch to act as a weight bag. (Which was made out of fleece by my lovely wife. She made it so the only seem is around the top so that it won't have a blowout when hitting the ground).
4. A decent sized rock to put in the pouch for weight.
5. Two chain link couplings.uploadfromtaptalk1346197490012.jpg

I took the chainsaw chain and took the coupling link out of it so that it was a long chain and not a circular chain. Attached the chain link couplings to each end of the chain. Then attached 20' of the 550 parachord to each of the chain link couplings. (Reference picture above). Then I attached the pouch with the rock in it to the end of one of the 20' lengths of parachord. This gives you something to throw up and over the limb you are wanting to cut. The weight should also fall far enough for you to grab a hold of if it didn't make it to the ground. Get the chain up over the limb amd just pull back and forth on the two lengths of parachord till limb is cut. Once the limb is cut you are ready to get it back to the compact size for packing out. To do this so that you won't have any tangles in the parachord next time it is needed you just wrap each section of parachord into what I like to call "The Fluteman Figure Eight". ;)
uploadfromtaptalk1346198047040.jpg

Once each side is wrapped it is ready to put back into your pack.
uploadfromtaptalk1346198123340.jpg

No more scratched up chest, stomach and legs for me.:D

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Have you tried this method yet? Just curious how long it takes to cut thru the limbs this way.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Have you tried this method yet? Just curious how long it takes to cut thru the limbs this way.

Yes I gave it a whirl on a limb in a tree in the back yard. It took me about 7-10 minutes to get through a limb that was about 3". I still think it is better than shimmying up a 6" diameter tree.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I would have that parachute cord all wrapped up and tangled in the chain.....and 7 to 10 minutes to cut a 3" limb! Holy shit dude...I think it would be worth another few bucks to buy a pole saw just for the time saving factor alone. Cool idea though, maybe if the chain was sharper it would work better?

I have 3 pole saws Steve, next time I come down your way I'm bringing one for you to have! LOL

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yes I gave it a whirl on a limb in a tree in the back yard. It took me about 7-10 minutes to get through a limb that was about 3". I still think it is better than shimmying up a 6" diameter tree.

Holy shit man!!! Spend the $25 and drag in a damn pole saw and do it in 30 seconds!!! You got yourself a good idea, but I can imagine me doing this and it would be a total monkey fucking a football moment, sweat pouring, cuss words flying, and 7-10 minutes of hell!!! More power to you for give it a try though. Being handy and coming up with your own ideas is always fun!!!

The wire saw does sound like a good idea as well. I have a 12' Fiskers pole saw and pruner that I have gotten far more than my money out of over the years, but even it has some limitations. Being able to get up 15-20' is great if you can make it work!!!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Is there an echo in here? lmao

I can't imagine how sore your arms and hands would be after 7-10 minutes of pulling a rope back and forth while balancing on a treestand....it would make you as tough as mountaineer though so it might be worth it in that regard.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good idea, Steve. Swap that chainsaw chain for a length of saw wire and I think you'll have a winner.... that way it cuts while moving in both directions. Like the others, though, I can see myself getting that thing tangled all to hell, getting pissed off, and leaving it in a tree. lol

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I forgot to come back to this thread.
I am not afraid to admit when I am wrong. Get that chain wrapped around a good live limb and it will kick your ass to get through it. The other problem is the chain wants to keep rolling over sp that you are trying to cut with the fear tooth side instead of the saw side.

So back to the drawing board, I like Jims idea of a wire. Going to give that a try.

whack

please try it with the wire and let us know i interested in this idea. up until now i have always just thrown viper up the tree to cut the limbs. still a very viable option but he is not always around lol