Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Just my luck

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well I checked cameras yesterday and I came up too the last one and bang, damaged camera.... At first I thought some SOB was using it for target practice with a BB gun but when I opened the case up no BB's rolled out and none were around the tree.... The camera from what I can see is damage free, but the card was full and had been for 2 days.... So I'll recheck the camera in a couple of days and see for sure.... I'm thinking it might have been a woodpecker but don't know for sure as nothing showed on any of the videos (all 250 of them) trust me I watched every damn one of them from start too finish lol.... I've posted the picture hopefully it will show and you can see the damage.... My first couple of minutes I was seeing red ans it wasn't till I got it opened and saw no damage then I was cursing the damn birds lol.....

Also I sent an email with photo too SPYPOINT too see what they say and will post their response when I get it..... here is a copy of the email that went too them....

"I run 5 IR-6 cameras and I was checking the cameras and changing out cards and I came up to my last one and was shocked to see this damage to the filter, my first thought was some vandal decided to use my camera as a target using a bb gun but when I opened the case no bb’s rolled out and no damage to the camera that I can see. After thinking about it I came to the realization that it may have been a wood pecker that did the damage. Have you heard of anything like this or is it just my luck to be the first?
The card was full when I removed it and it had been full for 2 days so my next card pull will be proof in the pudding so to speak as it may have happened after the card was full as I got no video of any bird (or anything else for that matter) doing the damage. I was wondering if you have these filters on hand and what price that they are so I can purchase it as I think it’s going to affect my IR pictures if I’m not mistaken. The cameras have worked flawlessly and I’m very pleased with the quality of the pictures both day and the IR photo’s/videos I belong to The Ohio Outdoors web site and all of our members that run the SPYPOINT cameras are very pleased with both your cameras and your customer support.

I thank you for your assistance on this matter and look forward to your response."

IR-6 Damage.jpg

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Dang-it J.... Hate to hear this. Hope they offer to fix it for ya cheap.

Thanks Y'all, talked with Joe this morning about it and he seems too think it won't be an issue with customer support.... Even if I have too pay it shouldn't be much...... And it is changeable..... So we'll see I just want too make sure I'm not missing out on the IR videos bad timing and getting down too the wire....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I've never seen anything like that J. Since you have ruled out the BB gun,No clue

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've never seen anything like that J. Since you have ruled out the BB gun,No clue

I was figuring bird (woodpecker or maybe a blue jay) but had too be a bird in my opinion lol.... Could be wrong, was just wishing I had got it on video.... no such luck.....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I can't imagine what that would be. Sure does look like BB's.

Ever see a bird attack a window in a house???? Just by seeing it's reflection???? Could have seen it's reflection and went after it..... That's just speculation but it's possible.....

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
There's a retarded cardinal that flies around my neighborhood and pecks at my neighbors winders on his truck, like mentioned above that would be my guess.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wouldn't rule out a vandal just because you didn't find any BB's. Someone could have walked up from the side of it and poked it with a screwdriver, or a stick, or a piece of metal... or whatever. I suppose it could have been a woodpecker, but I would think a woodpecker would figure out something wasn't right after the first peck. I'd think a woodpecker could distinguish the difference between hard tree bark and that relatively soft plastic.