Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What the heck.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yesterday while out hanging a cam I was pushing through an open spot with tall weeds I felt something brush against my neck and it was like someone poured acid on me. It wasn't nettles and I'm not allergic to sumac, ivy, or oak I can roll in the stuff and not get it. I didn't see what plant did it and I wasn't going back to figure it out. Within 5 minutes my neck was on fire like a jellyfish sting and turning my head left or right made the spot tighten like a sunburn and burn. I took a pic in the field and it showed nothing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345994388.795829.jpg

It quit burning about 20 min later and by the time I got home it looked like this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345994433.897938.jpg

Can't feel it this morning by the mark is still there.

I don't know wtf it was and I have never ran into it before. I spend a ton of time in the woods and never had something like this happen. And I'm the king of busting brush and weeds because I don't have a fear of ivy or oak. Anyway. That sucked.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
After reading around some it must have been a huge nettle plant that I raked the stem across the back of my neck. I didn't know the plant could get 7 foot tall as I usually only see them no more than knee high. But I do remember something like this in there. But it didn't sting and tingle like a nettle as I have got I those countless times. Heck been and I walked through acres and acres of them once. This burned like someone laid a hot poker on my neck. All I can figure is I raked a foot of the stem across the back of my neck.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345995683.220081.jpg

Here is a close up of the stem.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345995707.478831.jpg

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nettles are huge right now due to the time of year. I'd say you found a big 'en. The marking on your neck looks like nettle work to me, and the instant acid feel sounds like it too. I've never felt a light tingle from nettles...they light me up!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
BTW, jewelweed is usually growing right next to nettles and is the only way I know of to stop the burn quickly. Look for it next time!

ohiorobp

BTW, jewelweed is usually growing right next to nettles and is the only way I know of to stop the burn quickly. Look for it next time!

How awesome is that. The the cure to the pain inflicted by one plant often times grows next to the other. Going to have to google that jewelweed so I know what to look for.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
That exact thing happens to me when Hops vines hit my skin I had one rip my neck from my own vines and the description of acid burn is accurate. It did not go away for a week.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wow, never came accross any reaction like that other than poison ivey/oak..... Hope it doesn't last long....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Wow, never came accross any reaction like that other than poison ivey/oak..... Hope it doesn't last long....

It only hurt for about an hour. Can't even feel it now. But the mark is still there.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It only hurt for about an hour. Can't even feel it now. But the mark is still there.

Can't ever say I ever got into any of that stuff.... I've seen it around but no reaction like that....

Charles, you ain't even close too be right Brother :smiley_clap:

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
If you look closely there is a couple smaller marks as well above it. I've seen this on Ghost Adventures numerous times. Joe, I believe a Demon attatched itself to you and you may be in trouble. You probably need an Exorcism performed. You may have trounced through an anciant burial ground and pissed off some spirits

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I was showing the site to my neighbor yesterday and he said that their is a big poster in the township/county maintenance shop where his wife works with a picture like that and instructions "Do Not Touch this Shit!"