Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help me choose a new coyote rifle!

I'd like some suggestions for a new coyote rifle.

My criteria is:
* Larger than .223/5.56 caliber (I like how dead my .25-06 kills varmints).
* Semi-auto action...maybe a lever-action.
* Doesn't have to be an AR platform, but nothing wrong with it. H&K, Steyr, BAR, etc.
* Open sights or scoped, for optics.
* 20" barrel or shorter prefered. However, good ballistics is a must.
* Kill zone, inside 200 yards.

I intend to reload for this rifle, as I want to use a light weight bullet for good fragmentation and accuracy. If I go with an AR, it'll probably be a Rock River Arms, possibly a D.P.M.S. Panther...other brands would be considered.

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I guess I haven't been around long enough. I just read your AR build and you already built the rifle I just explained below. Now that is neat.
My son has a AR15 exactly the same as the rifle you built up.
I picked up a AK47 Bullpup last year and I had a friend remove the front and rear high rise iron sights and install a full length scope rail. Then I am setting it up almost the same as your AR in the scope and red dot sights on the side.
I wish my AK47 was in 223 Rem but for what I plan on using ot for the 7.62X39 will be fine.

Limiting it to a semi-auto or leveraction cuts downs the options. The leveraction is probaly out as there just aren't that many models with rounds that have the ballistics.
Semi-auto I would go with the AR10 platform in 243 Win or 260 Rem since you want a round larger than .223 Rem. Both are close to the 25-06 you mentioned.
The rule of thumb on barrel length is that you loose about 20 FPS for each inch removed from a normal barrel length. So just refer to a good reloading book and do the math on the barrel length ballistics remaining.
For optics I would instal a variable scope of good quality. Then since I would have a AR platform myself I would install a headups sight off the right side on a canted attachment beside the scope. That way I will have a good scope when needed and a headsup sight when needed for close range.
I am setting up a AK47 Bullpup in 7.62X39 with the scope and off to the side headsup sight right now. I plan on using the rifle for close range in Ohio. For long distance I have AR15 in .223.
I will be at the Lima Coon Trail next weekend setup in the SE building. Stop by. I am hoping my friend will bring my AK47 Bullpup back with the sight rail installed. Also I have done every gunshow in Lima for the last 26 yrs. I am in the same building with all the reloading equipment.
My son has a AR15 setup with both sights the same way in .223.
This all being said I always thought dead is dead and I could never kill a animal too dead with a larger caliber. But what the hey build your dream rifle. I already did.
Frank

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
MK I believe you have BH and I mixed up. I am the one with the AR build threads. I very well be wrong especially considering I am looking via my phone.

MK111,
Beentown is right...I've not built anything, yet. I'm going to buy what I want...no plans to build.

I'll look for you at the Water Dog Races. I'll be at Phil's booth on Friday, but will walk around some too. I think we've met, as I've been a member of the Tri-State Gun Show for many years too. See ya there!

Bowhunter57

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
MK I believe you have BH and I mixed up. I am the one with the AR build threads. I very well be wrong especially considering I am looking via my phone.

So I did. But gee both of your names at least start with "B". But at least Bowhunter57 gets my idea on a build as confusing as it might be.
Frank

Its hard to beat the bolt guns. This would be a good rifle to start with. I'd go with .223 or .243. Ive seen these at vances for 700 bucks. Which is really a bargin for what you are getting.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10PREDATORHUNTERMAX1

semi autos
The Remington 750 has been around for decades. So has the Browning BAR but it costs more.
If you want an AR build one. Unless you find a good deal. I loved my RRA varmint AR.

Last edited:
skinner1.dc@gmail.com said:
Are you fur huntin or just killin? For saving the fur the 204 ruger is hard to beat, if you just want em dead I would go with 22-250 it will reach out there and flatten em .
No fur saving, going on here...just plain ole strike 'em down dead. The coyotes in my area are killing fawns at an alarming rate, so I'm showing them the same mercy that they're showing the fawns.

As far as reaching and flattening, my .25-06 will handle that quite well. :smiley_dead: I'm leaning toward a .308 in an AR. A nice 110gr. Hornady V-Max at 3000 fps should show those coyotes a good time. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
See you at the show BH57! Might be hard to find that combo at the show, but you might just bump into the right dealer to set you up.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I know jack shit about guns compared to these guys, but from a want, coolness, aesthetics aspect, lever actions are fun ass guns to shoot. It'd be a thrill to sling lead at a running yote with one!!!

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Guy on TV uses a .204. What's wrong with a .223, seeing as how I have a Savage .223 bolt rifle for sale?????????????????????????????? It's listed on for sale page.

Nothing wrong with a .204, .223 or .22-250 with good shot placement...and I appreciate the suggestions. :smiley_coolpeace:

Coyotes are tough customers and a .308 will crush a coyote's ability to escape, run or otherwise live to suck in another breath. :smiley_dead: I'm not playing around with these fur covered fawn killers. Whatever, I end up with...from a .44 Mag. revolver to a 45-70 lever to a .308 AR, I ain't playing "fair" any more. Fair chase will be determined by how well the coyotes survive a hit from a large caliber weapon. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

Bigpess51

Findlay
Just bought a remington R15 (made by bushmaster) in 223/5.56 nato last week, topped it with a 3X9X50 Nikon prostaff. Shoots like a dream. You can order it in .204 as well. I know you want a bigger caliber, maybe the r-25 would be a good choice in .243.

Kill all the coyotes you can!! Good luck with whatever you choose.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I know jack shit about guns compared to these guys, but from a want, coolness, aesthetics aspect, lever actions are fun ass guns to shoot. It'd be a thrill to sling lead at a running yote with one!!!

And when the yote drops.......you get to add a little attitude while ejecting the shell!