Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First man on moon Neil Armstrong dead at 82

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
The family said in a statement online that Armstrong died following complications from heart-bypass surgery he underwent earlier this month, just two days after his birthday on August 5.

RIP Mr. Armstrong

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
One of those day in your life like 9-11 you will always remember where you was.
Frank

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Anyone ever hear the story about what he said Before the "One small step" line?
I only remember the general points of the story but as I remember it, (and it may just be a urban legend) he was a young boy and was playing catch with someone in his yard. The ball or whatever ended up in the neighbors hedge nearby an open window. As he crept over to retrieve the ball he herd the neighbor (Mr. Smith cause I don't remember the guys name) Mr. Smith fighting with his wife about her giving him some sort of sex. The neighbor woman was herd to say something like " Ya. I'll do that when the kid next door walks on the moon". Supposedly, just before he said the "One small step" line he said "This ones for you Mr. Smith", then stepped off the ladder and said the "One small step" line...

Anyone ever hear that???
How great would that be!

Huckleberry Finn

Great Ohioan.

And a Cold Warrior - love JFK or not, the space race was a huge part of the Cold War. Too bad we've given up on that.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am less than 10 miles from his home town of Wapakoneta, Ohio. Ever drive down I75 and see "the moon"? The museum looks like the moon and is right next to the interstate. Big globe built into the ground with grass mounded up along its sides. We take the kids sledding there. lol

Huckleberry Finn

I am less than 10 miles from his home town of Wapakoneta, Ohio. Ever drive down I75 and see "the moon"? The museum looks like the moon and is right next to the interstate. Big globe built into the ground with grass mounded up along its sides. We take the kids sledding there. lol

I forgot about seeing that! I spent a night in the hotel right across from that thing and was like "what the heck!"

It has been passed around for many years and it was supposed to be his neighbor, "Mr. Gorsky". I've heard this story...or a variation of it, for many years. I was 11 years old when Apollo 11 landed on the moon, in '69. I've only been to the museum once and I live 25 miles from it.

However, there are no such NASA trascripts that support any such statement. A good story, just the same.
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/mrgorsky.asp

Bowhunter57

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
RIP Neil Armstrong

Never heard that story Jim? Ron and I were 8 when he landed. I remember some of the hoopla but we were probably fighting with each other during this historic event to even pay much attention. Y'all know how two young siblings are! Lol