Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

climber on the ground?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
You ever leave a climber on the ground?

I have a few old ones, and I just leave them on the tree sometimes, any one else?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
15 years ago I had a buddy come up from Tenn. to hunt with me for a week. He brought a Summit climber with him. Back then, they were heavy. I had located a couple of creek crossings on public land that were awesome. In fact, it was my intention to hunt only on public land all week. Those crossings were so heavily used they made all my private land spots look rather poor. The first evening we hunted, he had deer crossing the creek in front of him all night. I did as well. The next morning, a PY 8 point went along the opposite side of the creek and looked directly at him from across the creek, came on down the bank and crossed at my crossing. He had several deer throughout the next couple of days do the same thing, but not a singel deer walked under him again. We moved onto greener pastures for the rest of the hunt. He had ruined his spot literally over-night by leaving that stinky stand at the base of the tree. I would never leave one...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That may help, but I honestly don't know. His stand was maybe 5-10 yards from where they came out of the creek. I suspect they smelled it as well as saw it. We didn't use smoke back then. Still, it just isn't something I'd do. Heck, the reason I have climbers is so I can get into and hunt spots immediately. If I were willing to leave one there I'd put a hang on up.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Around here i would think it would be gone when I went back. I'm concerned about leaving my good ladder stand out.
One of the reasons I handmake all my ladder stands as they are so big oneone in their right mind would take them. But I mainly hunt my own farm and a friends property across the road.
Frank

Diablo54

Outside
Only if we shoot a deer out of one. Then we leave it until were done tracking. It helps locate the line from where u were.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've left mine in the woods lots of times while hunting on public land, and I've never noticed any impact on deer movement. But, like Beener said, my scent control methods don't stop with just me... My stands are always smoked up, too.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I had one i left last year and had deer walk right underneath me, but I was talking to a guy and he was tell me how bad it is to do this, I had never noticed an impact so I wanted to see what you all think.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I did it a good bit when that was the only method of hunting I had and I only hunted one or two spots. I made sure to leave it as close to the ground as possible and never noticed any issues as a result. I always left it in the barn, so it was pretty well aired out before it went to the woods...

mightymet

Last year I left mine. I don't see what the difference would be from a ladder stand. We leave those up all year.