Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey sightings

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I had a flock of about 10 turkeys in the front yard about 7:30AM. Looked like 4 hens and 6 chicks. Man have they grown in the last 2 weeks as they are about the size of pheasants now maybe alittle bigger.
Wish we had a Fall Hunt in SW Ohio. But the local Warden said no fall hunt unless there is 200 Spring Hunt kills for 3 years in a row. And we only have about 85 Spring kills per year.
We are becoming overrun with turkeys down here but that is a good thing. I haven't talked to any grain farmers to see if there is really any turkey damage. I only pasture my farm so I guess I don't have any damage from turkeys.
Now the deer is another story on fence damage and the local Warden won't issue Deer Permits for fence damage. I asked him to come over and help with the fence damage repair but he seems to be too busy. The family is getting too busy to deer hunt in the fall with sports and the such now it's girl chasing added now.
I guess it's upto grandpa to give the deer hell with his new bow. I will have to step upto the plate more as I don't allow non-family to hunt here.
Frank

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
More turkeys. Had a flock of 3 hens and 7 polluts in the back yard not 10 ft from my bedroom window. Plus there was 9 hens in the front yard at the same time. Man there are alot of hens but few chicks to go with them. Must have been a bad hatch season this spring.
Frank

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A flock of 17 full size turkeys in the front yard today at 10:30AM. They were about 75 yds away and didn't come any closer. They just milled around and laid down. No young pollets in the group.
Why we don't have a Fall Turkey Season is beyond me.
Frank

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
ohio does have a fall turkey season, does your area not?

Not here. The closest Fall season is 2 counties away in Clermont County. I have been told by the local warden that a county has to have 200 spring turkey kills 2 or 3 years in a roll to qualify. Our county only has like 80-90 spring kills per year. I guess not enough hunters as we sure to hell have enough turkeys.
Frank

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Not here. The closest Fall season is 2 counties away in Clermont County. I have been told by the local warden that a county has to have 200 spring turkey kills 2 or 3 years in a roll to qualify. Our county only has like 80-90 spring kills per year. I guess not enough hunters as we sure to hell have enough turkeys.
Frank

That is likely the reason Frank. We are getting a boat load of turkey's up here but I only know a handful of guys that hunt them.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Again today. We have a flock everyday that is just seems normal now.
When I hunted wed. in my woods I had 4 differant groups in the woods at the same time. And they all went differant ways. Do you think the state doesn't know what they are doing?
Frank

Last edited: