Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Which would you shoot?

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I leave in just over a week for Heart J Outfiters in North Dakota. I have been looking at the pics and trying to decide what bucks to go after. The buck I really like is not showing up after dark. The best spot to get footage is a spot where these 3 bucks are coming in an hour before dark. So if they all came in together which would you shoot? Hopefully they will all still be in velvet :)

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Let me re-phrase my comment. All three are nice and would make great velvet bowkills but the cost of the hunt and time availability would be big factors I'd consider before releasing an arrow at them. First day encounter vs. last day encounter as an example as well.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
The outfitter started using Monster Raxx late last summer. I saw sheds he has collected for years, some of the bucks he had sheds for 4 years, there was not much growth from year to year. He said there is very little nutritional value in the soil.

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
I have a very hard time reading posts from guys that say they would hold out for bigger... For some hunters that don't have multiple properties, surrounding properties, or just the perfect property that have a great restriction on deer management. For example, my parents own 104 acres and we try to manage it the best we can. The Amish live close and have no such thing as restrictions on what or when they kill. Is now that my fault I dont shoot a 2.5+ year old in hopes he makes it... I would love to see these deer and shoot the first one that came by. Now, maybe I am taking it a little too personal. My first deer I ever got another hunter told me I shouldn't even be proud of the buck because it was a little 6 point. He didn't even know my name and thats what he says to me? I have a really sour taste in my mouth over that and I apologize if I am acting like him now. Those may not be trophies to some but to me they are wall hangers. Good luck!

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
The outfitter started using Monster Raxx late last summer. I saw sheds he has collected for years, some of the bucks he had sheds for 4 years, there was not much growth from year to year. He said there is very little nutritional value in the soil.

That's awesome MONSTER RAXX!! Exactly what I thought...

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I have a very hard time reading posts from guys that say they would hold out for bigger... For some hunters that don't have multiple properties, surrounding properties, or just the perfect property that have a great restriction on deer management. For example, my parents own 104 acres and we try to manage it the best we can. The Amish live close and have no such thing as restrictions on what or when they kill. Is now that my fault I dont shoot a 2.5+ year old in hopes he makes it... I would love to see these deer and shoot the first one that came by. Now, maybe I am taking it a little too personal. My first deer I ever got another hunter told me I shouldn't even be proud of the buck because it was a little 6 point. He didn't even know my name and thats what he says to me? I have a really sour taste in my mouth over that and I apologize if I am acting like him now. Those may not be trophies to some but to me they are wall hangers. Good luck!

Alphamax what that guy said is just not right. I dont care who it is, I think every one should get to decide what they want to shoot or not and no one should try and belittle you for what you feel is a trophy. There are some cases where a buddy can give each other some **** for shooting something smaller than what was agreed upon on a lease. I will be happy to shoot any of those deer, I am just curious what others would do. Good luck this season, hopefully the Amish dont shoot TOO many.