Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Kentuckian 44 cal.

Basenji

Hey guys,
I new to the site.
My grandfather just gave me his Kentuckian 44 cal. from Euroarms of America. I have never shot it because I don't know the load charge.
Any ideas???
I was also wondering if this is ok to hunt dear with in Ohio.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Hey guys,
I new to the site.
My grandfather just gave me his Kentuckian 44 cal. from Euroarms of America. I have never shot it because I don't know the load charge.
Any ideas???
I was also wondering if this is ok to hunt dear with in Ohio.

Yes it ok for deer in Ohio. As for a load id start with 60 grains 3f black powder. Or pyrodex.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Are you allowed to use round balls for deer hunting?

Yes. Patch and Ball is the only way a purest will go. If you shoot a few rounds and walk out 10-15 yards and find the spent patch. By looking at it you can tell of you are using a thick enough patch or if you need to go thinner or thicker. The slight char or pattern of the groves will tell the story. To thin and the preasure gas will be escaping around the patched ball costing valuable energy.

Hoytmania said:
Are you allowed to use round balls for deer hunting?
Yep! My first 2 muzzleloader kills were with a patched roundball. I killed a few g-hogs with a .50 cal. (175gr.) RB and the softer lead flattens out like a pancake. Upon impact the g-hogs looked like they'd been kicked by an NFL place kicker. :smiley_blackeye:

Basenji,
Welcome to The Ohio Outdoors forums! :smiley_bril:

Muzzleloaders have to be .38 caliber or larger for legal use to hunt deer, in Ohio. You're good to go brother!
Muzzleloaders are considered to be unloaded (to transport it in a vehicle) if the priming device is removed.

Bowhunter57

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
As an aside, do you own a Basenji? My sister had one of those and it was the most peculiar dog I have ever been around. By far the most aloof dog I have ever known...