Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Vintage Sporting Clays at Cardinal

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Buckeye Vintagers is hosting a Sporting Clays shoot Sunday at the Cardinal Center this Sunday. Been wanting to go but it never seems to work into my schedule till now. I've shot trap and bunker trap at Cardinal but never shot clays there.

You have to use a side by side. Sub-gauge guns are handicapped, I'll be shooting a 20 guage so 5 birds will be added to my score. Hopefully I'll shoot a respectful score, I'll be happy with breaking anything over 60, tickled if I break 70.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Those old Remingtons are built like tanks, they handle pretty well for their weight. I'm going to guess it's choked tight and might be better for trap shooting then sporting clays. Most of the vintage shotgun shoots seem to be east of the Mississippi, not sure if there's anything out where you are.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Good luck Sam. I may stop by and watch for a bit. Gotta hang stands and clear some land up that way this weekend anyway.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
It went well today, I shot a 74 plus 5 for the 20 gauge handicap to give me a score of 79. I didn't see the score sheet but that probably put me in the middle of the pack. Heard the top guy was in the upper 90's with a 28 gauge. Seems like most of the shooters were from that area and knew the course. Shot with some great guys, including the guy that organized the event. Lots of nice doubles, the guys I was with were shooting a Win M21 12 gauge, a Brown BSS 12 (choked full and full) and a CSMC RBL 16 gauge.

Beener came over so I finally got to meet him and his girls. Wish we could have visited longer but it was nice to finally meet face to face. I think I've convinced him to try sporting clays sometime.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Cool thread Sam.... glad you got too meet up with Beener.... maybe they should of been shooting bunnies instead of clays lol..... you dusted them pretty good that day I was with you.....

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Jim if you ever want to try it there is a clays course at Conneautville. It would be a good work out for grandpa's M12.

J, Funny thing is I did horrible on the station with rabbits. I usually do OK on them but I kept shooting too high.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Got the results and tried to post them but they posted funky.

Anyways I was smack dab in the middle with a 79. 5 of us had that score, 8 guys shot better, 9 shot lower. 6 guys used a 20 gauge and 4 of us shot 79, what's the odds of that?