Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mowing before spraying???

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm hoping to head south this weekend and get some food plot prepping started. I have one spot (~1/2 acre) that's been a plot for 3 years, but I have two more spots in mind that have never been planted. These new spots are usually waist-high grass with a carpet of poison ivy underneath, this time of year.

I know that Glyphosate works best while the plant is actively growing, and that getting good chemical-to-leaf contact is important... so I'm not sure what is the best way to approach this.

I was thinking of mowing relatively high, then spraying with a 4-5% solution of gly immediately afterwards. But I'm afraid the windrowed cuttings with "protect" the remaining veg below it and I won't get a good kill. My other thought was just to mix a hot solution of gly and spray the plots (without mowing first) and just hope for a hard burn down.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? Has anyone had success without mowing first and then spraying immediately after? Keep in mind, travel and time are my limiting conditions... I'm planning to prep one day, then come back a week later to disc and plant.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
It's better to wait 2 or 3 days after mowing before spraying.

If you can't wait don't mow and spray with a high concentration of r-up plus add a water soluble nitrogen fertilizer.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
No need to mow, just hit it good with your spray. I would probably give it more than a week before planting, but that's just me.

Buckmaster

Portage
The right way to do it is mow this weekend and spray next weekend. Given your limitations I'd skip mowing and hit it with a hot dose of spray. Be mindful these weeds have seeds so you'll end up with a heavy dose of weeds in your plot next Spring.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The right way to do it is mow this weekend and spray next weekend. Given your limitations I'd skip mowing and hit it with a hot dose of spray. Be mindful these weeds have seeds so you'll end up with a heavy dose of weeds in your plot next Spring.

That's kind of what I figured. Although I am planning on top dressing with clover, these will be annual plots that'll get tilled under next summer again... so the weeds aren't too big of a concern for me in the spring.

Sounds like I should skip the mowing and just rain down on it with napalm this weekend. :) Oh, and do a better job planning next season.... lmao

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Spraying r-up on thistle at bloom or later will damage the germination of the seed. Not sure if any other seeds are affected by r-up but I would imagine they are.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Where do you guys usually find the best price for generic gly (41%)? I see Rural King has Dextrel gly for $19.99 by the gallon... and I think Home Depot has some other brand for around 20 bucks as well...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Was is a gallon of glyphosate? If so, damn you mixed it HOT! lol How tall was the veg and how's it look now?

It was a half gallon, but I added about 3 gallons worth of left over RoundUp to it. I had weeds up to 2' tall. I used 15 gallons to spray about a 1/2 acre worth of ground and other than the spots I missed, it was good and dead a week later.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It was a half gallon, but I added about 3 gallons worth of left over RoundUp to it. I had weeds up to 2' tall. I used 15 gallons to spray about a 1/2 acre worth of ground and other than the spots I missed, it was good and dead a week later.

That's what I wanted to hear, man. Gracias much.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yes. There are several generic roundup products out there. If you are talking woody vegetation or even the poison ivy stuff, you might look into Crossbow. It will kill the grassy vegetation as well, but will work on the woody stuff as well. Careful not to kill any saplings you want to keep. Read the label, but sometimes crop oil or surfactant will help your cause. It varies depending upon which product you are applying. Sam will probably be more knowledgeable then I am in this department.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I always buy the surfactant but I heard a cup or two of diesel fuel works too.

I have heard that too but never tried it. I used to be licensed but let my license expire. Pain in the butt to jump thru all their hoops at the Dept of Ag. I spray my property, but the rest of them I just subcontract. Not worth the headaches and extra paperwork.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a commercial applicators license right now so I can get just about anything I need. The high-dollar shit ain't happening for food plots, though. lol I'm thinking I'll make a trip down to Rural King in Wooster. 20 bucks seems like a decent price for a gallon of 41% GLY, based on what I've read here. Plus the Dextrel already has surfactant mixed in.