Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New Garden 101

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Alright guys, my dad and I are planning to put in a garden next year. Figured we would till it up once this year in preparation.

What else do you guys recommend for a first year garden? I've heard people mention lime, ashes, etc., to help with the soil.

We will plan on putting in tomatoes, green beans, radishes, and maybe some peppers. That's probably about it but subject to change.

Mods: if this would fit better in another section feel free to move it.

Buckmaster

Portage
I'd say begin to Round up the area for weeds right now. Upon regrowth do it again. Get a soil test done to see how much lime and fertilizer you will need. You can lime this fall and turn it over. By Spring you'll be well established to begin.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Kill the weeds now. Roundup the area and let it die first. Won't kill everything but might save some of the grass from coming up in it. Unfortunately, some seeds can lay dormant for decades. When you turn the soil you WILL have some unwanted green. I would love to give you more advice buy my gardens suck. All I know is do everything you can to eliminate as many weeds as possible. Weeds are what makes our garden suck every year.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Besides round up last fall, didn't get much else done with the garden last year. Decided this weekend to get it rolling since it was so nice out.

Here is the outline staked and painted, ended up 34ft x 12ft

I tilled it up slowly 2 inches or so at a time raking out any excess weed or grass after each round of tilling. Turned out pretty good and looks to be on some really good soil.

Ended up getting our white and yellow onions in as well as a row of radishes. Everything else will wait until the ground warms up and the chance of frost goes down. Looking forward to seeing how things turn out this year!

Ricer2231

horse shit.

Believe it or not this is the key to hot peppers. The more you put on the hotter they get. No kidding I had just plain ole cayenne peppers last year and piled the horse shit around them up to the first leaves just to see how hot they would get and I ended up drying th and grinding them up to sprinkle in chili and such. I couldn't even eat a whole one, and I can eat some hot stuff. I put one pepper in a gallon jar of pickled cauliflower and I swear it ruined the whole jar!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Very nice Drake. You weren't alone. My neighbor was tilling all day. I got ours leveled and back to square one. It became a holding site with a couple piles of top soil sitting there all winter. Not good top soil either. Plan on making the raised beds this week. Erin and I discussed where they might go so now I have a mission to accomplish. She planted 100 starters yesterday. We are starting from seed this year.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
A lot of good suggestions, but I would stay away of the horse shit. Creates too many seeds, cause of what they eat. Sorry Huck! I would suggest a soil sample, but that takes a little time to get the results. Pellatized lime for sure. I surround my peppers and maters with grass clippings,6" deep. It holds the weeds at bay and retains moisture, when rain is few and far between. Good luck with your garden and have fun!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I will try to be keeping a good eye on this thread. I TOO am starting a garden this year for the first time. Got a the first few passes of tilling done Saturday morning. I just hope I can dedicate the time to it to make it successful.

Huckleberry Finn

A lot of good suggestions, but I would stay away of the horse shit. Creates too many seeds, cause of what they eat. Sorry Huck!

To each their own, but I have had some great success with it, especially with vine plants like cukes, pumpkins, and tomatoes. I could see with other plants (beans, corn,) how it could be a hassle.

The last garden I planted was with a pile a compost that had been there at least 5 years...had a few composted goats in it (no lies, the tiller kicked out the bones), horse and goat manure, leftovers from planted topsoil, etc...man anyone could grow in that stuff!

Dang...I need to find me a community garden plot or something....I love keeping a garden in the summers.