Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hanging stands with my Dad, the non-hunter

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Called to get some help hanging 2 stands. It is my foreman's anniversary so he was out. My hunting buddy was in a fishing tournament with another one of our buddies. The guys that hunt the neighboring property I keep good communication with and we try to help each other out. They were golfing tonight. Sooooo, I called my Dad. He is NOT a hunter. Not against hunting, he just doesn't hunt. It was amusing, yet frustrating. He was wandering all over the place like my kids would have been doing. Shorts, tennis shoes, listening to his headphones to talk radio. I am so anal about my scent control whether it is November or June, I cringed everytime he wandered off a little ways. lol He wasn't a ton of help (not that I needed him to climb a tree or anything just watch in case I fell) but it was great to spend the time with him and know that he still supports me in whatever I do. At 7 or 17 he and mom were at every sporting event whether I was playing or sitting the bench. Dad knows I am competitive and take this serious. I feel very blessed to have him chip in and help out his son at 37yrs old. He certainly didn't have to. The comments were priceless as well. "You know Phil, I think this is a good spot. It looks like deer would like this area." Then on occasion he would look up at me in the tree and say something sarcastic like "You really think you need to go up that extra 3'? Your mother has supper waiting on me." Then one time he said "Yeah. That looks good. I don't think any deer will be able to see you there." I was chuckling at him. He had zero idea but was there to be supportive and call 911 if I fell. This brings me to his last amusing comment which he made as we were pulling out on the road "I am glad you didn't fall. While you were swinging around in that tree I was trying to figure out how I would tell the 911 operator where we were. I mean, I knew where we were, but how do you explain that to the paramedics?" Good ol' Dad. Love that man.

For a little more background on my Dad, he just retired from teaching Geometry for the last 43yrs. Loves to fish, but doesn't hunt. Plays the dulcimer and builds his own stringed instruments. Volunteers at the hospital with the Mended Hearts group 2-3 days a week to assist those going into or coming out of open heart surgery. Corny math teacher sense of humor, and isn't afraid to bust out his sandals. . . . with socks and the clip on sunglasses over his glasses. He is a great man, but so squeaky clean. To him, "butthead" is cussing. Doesn't understand why people are upset and passing him when he is driving 37 in a 45. He is only trying to save some fuel in his 4cyl 5sp Chevy Colorado on his way to church choir practice. lol

Sound like the perfect person to help hang stands? It was for me. You just never know when your number is up. Heck, I could have fallen and exited this world before him. Gotta soak up the time with our folks when we can. Some day we might not be able to.

RUT NUT

Very well written! I'm glad you got to spend some time with your old man. Makes me want to do something with mine....and I thank you for that!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great read Phil! Sounds like you and pops had some great quality time together. Ron and I miss our dad terribly. Our fathers sound very similar. Teacher,very supportive,easy going,no cussing and only took us hunting and fishing because he knew we loved to do it and just to do something with his sons. He was a great father and dang we sure miss him. Wouldn't it be great if you killed a slunger from that set and your dad helped you drag it out! That'd be awesome!

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Nice story Phil, can't get my dad out anymore but he likes to tell me I'm doing it wrong over the phone. Lol

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Glad you got out with Poppa Potterfield....ok last time in a long time from me ;)

My Dad is also a non-hunter, just fishes. Used to do the small game thing occasionally.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Great read Phil!! Glad you got to spend some quality time with your Dad. We take the little things like that for granted all too often.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great read Phil! Sounds like you and pops had some great quality time together. Ron and I miss our dad terribly. Our fathers sound very similar. Teacher,very supportive,easy going,no cussing and only took us hunting and fishing because he knew we loved to do it and just to do something with his sons. He was a great father and dang we sure miss him. Wouldn't it be great if you killed a slunger from that set and your dad helped you drag it out! That'd be awesome!

That would be great Ric! No dragging for Dad though. He volunteers with Mended Hearts because it helped him a lot when he was recovering from open heart surgery. I would love to have him hold the flashlight or drive the truck or a quad though!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Glad you got out with Poppa Potterfield....ok last time in a long time from me ;)

My Dad is also a non-hunter, just fishes. Used to do the small game thing occasionally.

HAHA!!! :smiley_clap:

Good stuff Phil. I'd love to have my dad be more involved in my hunting quests, but he just doesn't have the desire to be out there. Then again if you killed a 167" deer on a whim of a hunt and followed it up with a 130" deer the next year in the first 5 minutes on your new farm, you may hang it up TOO!!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
HAHA!!! :smiley_clap:

Good stuff Phil. I'd love to have my dad be more involved in my hunting quests, but he just doesn't have the desire to be out there. Then again if you killed a 167" deer on a whim of a hunt and followed it up with a 130" deer the next year in the first 5 minutes on your new farm, you may hang it up TOO!!!

Thanks Jesse. Truthfully, I am jealous. My Dad hunted as a kid because he HAD to in order to eat. He has zero desire. This is part of what made last night very special. I know he didn't really "want" to help me. He did so simply because I needed a hand and he is a supportive father. I hope and pray I can emulate his example towards my children as they grow.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Thanks Jesse. Truthfully, I am jealous. My Dad hunted as a kid because he HAD to in order to eat. He has zero desire. This is part of what made last night very special. I know he didn't really "want" to help me. He did so simply because I needed a hand and he is a supportive father. I hope and pray I can emulate his example towards my children as they grow.

I hear you there Phil. My dad would never admit it, but he does things for me under the guise of doing it for himself. I know keeping the farm is a constant struggle for him, but he does it because he knows it would crush me to lose it. Just this morning he informs me that he will be buying a tiller for the tractor. He has no real reason to own one, other than the fact that he knows how badly I would love to have one for food plots. Many of us have been blessed with great men as our fathers I am consider myself thankful to be one of them...

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Awesome!!! My Bro, ( finelyshedded ) and I lost our Dad last July, a year ago. Your story brought back memories to me as well. Spending time with your dad, doing something that you are passionate about is great! Cool stuff!!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I hear you there Phil. My dad would never admit it, but he does things for me under the guise of doing it for himself. I know keeping the farm is a constant struggle for him, but he does it because he knows it would crush me to lose it. Just this morning he informs me that he will be buying a tiller for the tractor. He has no real reason to own one, other than the fact that he knows how badly I would love to have one for food plots. Many of us have been blessed with great men as our fathers I am consider myself thankful to be one of them...

Good deal man! Here is the way I see it: I have watched my parents spend countless hours at the nursing home with my maternal grandmother. I have seen them do the same with paternal grandfather. Now I am watching my Dad, aunt, and uncle take turns with my paternal grandma. Eventually, we will be taking care of our parents much like they have done so for us. Hopefully our kids will do the same for us. (Except Jackalope, he will probably just know his time is near and crawl up into the swamps to die somewhere while Lil' Dave wonders where he went. lol) I am the only child living close to my parents. When they need something I "try" my best to make it happen. When dad had his open heart, we were all there. My sister spent some time up here and they traveled back from Columbus more frequently to visit for a few months. During the time in between, Erin and I (and friends/other family) were there to help out. I think the fact I watched a healthy man (never smoked or drank and wasn't a glutton) go thru a quadruple bypass at 59 gave all of us a different outlook. 6 years later, he is back at it (albeit a slower pace) and I am trying to enjoy it. I think Dad is too. You may recall a couple extra trips fishing I posted up this summer. It is the little things in life brother.

Buckmaster

Portage
For a little more background on my Dad, he just retired from teaching Geometry for the last 43yrs. Loves to fish, but doesn't hunt. Plays the dulcimer and builds his own stringed instruments. Volunteers at the hospital with the Mended Hearts group 2-3 days a week to assist those going into or coming out of open heart surgery. Corny math teacher sense of humor, and isn't afraid to bust out his sandals. . . . with socks and the clip on sunglasses over his glasses. He is a great man, but so squeaky clean. To him, "butthead" is cussing. Doesn't understand why people are upset and passing him when he is driving 37 in a 45. He is only trying to save some fuel in his 4cyl 5sp Chevy Colorado on his way to church choir practice. lol

Sounds about like my Dad there Hicks although now a 66 year old retired industrial arts teacher. Does your Dad get hell bent with people when they don't return his phone calls? My Dad does. Sign of the past versus present.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds about like my Dad there Hicks although now a 66 year old retired industrial arts teacher. Does your Dad get hell bent with people when they don't return his phone calls? My Dad does. Sign of the past versus present.

No. I don't think my Dad calls anyone but family. lol Honestly, he doesn't get fired up about much of anything. I got those genes from my mom. I think this is part of the reason he had a quadruple bypass. He held it all in for years. Never once saw my folks argue, or raise their voices at each other. Mom's ticker is probably good because she screamed at us kids plenty. Dad held it all in and listened to her holler. I think holding all the stress in contributed to his heart issues. Educating the youth for 43 years probably didn't help the stress levels.

I can think of one thing that gets my dad worked up: Liberals in the media. He listens to talk radio or bluegrass music. Not much of anything else in between unless he is listening to the buckeyes game. I swear if he quit watching Fox and listening to all those radio shows he wouldn't have a worry in the world.