Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

lw sticks vs muddy ?

matty636

mville
just got me a millenium hang on looking for for sticks i like the cam idea of muddy seems like it would be faster and easier but i dont have experience with either whats your thoughts:smiley_chinrub:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Both are quality sticks and are well worth the money. I've used the Muddy sticks and like how they have two steps on the top/bottom and the cam system is very nice. That being said, I own 5 LW sticks to go with my Millennium and wouldn't trade them for 5-6 Muddys. I love how they stack and carry in combo with my stand, and the additional length means added height for getting as high as I can when I hang. To get 150" worth of stick from Muddy, you need 6-7 sticks which adds 2.5-5 pounds and more to handle. They are a great product and it is really a matter of preference, but I'm happy with my LWs.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My experience with them is relatively limited when compared to some other guys here, but I really like the LW sticks... Basically for all the same reasons that Jesse mentioned above. I absolutely love the rope/cam concept that Muddy uses, but it's not useful enough to trump the extra height I can get with the LW sticks.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Like the two said above, LW is the way to go, at least right now. I have five LW sticks and a single Muddy that I carry with me to the stand. I use the Muddy as my final stick to stand on while setting a stand, simply because it has doubled up foot pegs which allows for better balance and leverage.

Both use 1" square tubing, so they stack together quite nicely. I will be completely honest, the rope and cam system on the Muddy is the cats ass (although I was a bit skeptical before trying it). If Muddy had the additional length and reduced weight to compete with LW, I would own a set of them in a heartbeat. They are quieter that LW, and just as solid, plus you can purchase a fancy little hanger that attaches to your Muddy harness, allowing you to hang a stick on either side. Like said above though, it would take more Muddy sticks to reach the same height as LW, which also would result in additional pack in weight.

If I could build the perfect set of sticks, they would be 32" long, with three steps and the rope and cam system. They would be sold in sets of three, four, and five, and would consist of a top stick with three doubled up steps, and all the lower sticks would have one alternating step.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No experience with the Muddy sticks. I had to buy 2 sets of LW sticks in order to have the 4-5 I generally need to hang and hunt. That said, it gets expensive buying 2 sets.

You have a third option as well. Leverage sells them. Dual sided, 32", same weight as LW sticks. If I was a Leverage dealer at the time I bought my LW sticks I probably would not have ordered the LW sticks. They are a nice product. They are also quite a bit cheaper than the LW sticks. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I owned 6 muddy sticks and used them for two seasons. Then traded them for 5 lw sticks last year and used them. The muddy sticks are better in every way except length. The role cam, the feet, and the steps. But I wanted more height with less weight as it takes 1 more muddy stick to reach the same height as 1 less lw stick. If muddy came out with a 32 inch stick I would sell my lw sticks tomorrow.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I like my LW steps as well. I havent tried the Muddy sticks but it sounds like they are a very good stick as well. It sounds like you have to decide if you want more height or more weight. Good luck I hope it works out for you.

matty636

mville
thanks guys im gona try the muddys gona be in trouble tho i ordered em online and she seen the card sittin beside the computer and asked now what did you buy

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
thanks guys im gona try the muddys gona be in trouble tho i ordered em online and she seen the card sittin beside the computer and asked now what did you buy

You'll like them. The rope cam system blows away the LW cinch straps. And it's nice to have steps on both sides.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Rats! I've been in your shoes more times than I can count. Slowly but surely I'm wearing her down, though... Eventually her senses will become numb to the spending. lmao

Looking forward to hearing your review on the Muddy sticks.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Alright guys....along these lines, with your first millennium, would you spend the money on sticks to be mobile or a couple ladders and receivers for different options?

matty636

mville
I just bought two one to be stationary at my house and with normal sticks and and the other to be mobile and do away with my climber and i figure if i wana hunt the same spot take the bottom sticks eliminate theft and packing

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Alright guys....along these lines, with your first millennium, would you spend the money on sticks to be mobile or a couple ladders and receivers for different options?

Sticks and receivers. You can pick up several 20' sections and receivers for the same price as half a dozen sticks. Then, down the road, buy a single lw stick until you have the number you want. Just my opinion.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd say you are better suited to answer that than we are as I see it as a toss up based on what you have at your disposal hunting property wise. Knowing what I know now, I'd buy the LW sticks first and the snag some 20' sticks when I found them on the cheap. I know you have limited time afield and hunt don't hunt all over, so you may be better off getting 2-3 sets of sticks and hanging them in spots you trust. It's six of one, half dozen of another man.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'd say you are better suited to answer that than we are as I see it as a toss up based on what you have at your disposal hunting property wise. Knowing what I know now, I'd buy the LW sticks first and the snag some 20' sticks when I found them on the cheap. I know you have limited time afield and hunt don't hunt all over, so you may be better off getting 2-3 sets of sticks and hanging them in spots you trust. It's six of one, half dozen of another man.

That was my thinking as well. If you buy the ladder sticks, you're limited to hunting only a few spots until you have enough money for the LW sticks. But if you buy the LW sticks first, your hunting spots are limitless and you can pick up 20' ladders or camloc brackets any time you get some free cash. Keep your eyes on the Fin Feather Fur ads, Ryan... Last year close to bow season they ran a sale on their Snyper 20 ladder sticks for 35 bucks each.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
That was my thinking as well. If you buy the ladder sticks, you're limited to hunting only a few spots until you have enough money for the LW sticks. But if you buy the LW sticks first, your hunting spots are limitless and you can pick up 20' ladders or camloc brackets any time you get some free cash. Keep your eyes on the Fin Feather Fur ads, Ryan... Last year close to bow season they ran a sale on their Snyper 20 ladder sticks for 35 bucks each.

Jim, where do you see the ads? Web, email, flyer?

I think I would benefit greatly with the muddy or LW setup to be more mobile and to learn more about where to hang "fixed" sets but just have the unknown "hands on" experience for ease of use.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
$35/20' ladder? They were selling them at or below cost. Not saying I don't believe you JB. I have seen it too. Just saying they don't last long at these prices. Snag as many as you can when you see them in this price range.

Not trying to push anything on you or sell anything to you Ryan, but here is another thought. Last night I hung 2 stands. I used 2 of my LW sticks, then put the Rivers Edge "Fast Sticks" the rest of the way. Then I hung a couple cheaper hang on stands. I could have bought additional Millenium brackets, but for strategic reasons (the ability to slide in and out as quickly and quietly as possible) I wanted the stands there. When I hunt them I will carry in 2 LW sticks and hang them (30sec) and climb in to my stand. Strap in, get settled, and hunt. I will post some pictures.

This is another option. Both sets were upper teens to 20' up by estimate. Each set used 2 Fast Sticks. Leaving the lower 2 as LW sticks reduced my theft chances and reduced my cost since I already had the LW sticks. Same thing could be accomplished with some extra brackets which would eliminate buying extra hang on stands. $45 buys a 3 pack of the Fast Sticks. Downside of this is you would still need to buy some LW or similar sticks and extra brackets. Just a thought. Maybe an option down the road.

First picture is what the deer see when they are broadside. Second picture looks more open but if they are walking towards the stand, I will already be drawn by the time they are broadside. I have a broadside shot where it appears open and a quartering to or away shot in front of me. Left a decent amount of cover in front of me but wanted multiple shooting windows. If not for leaving some cover I would stick out like a sore thumb.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1345004060981.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345004060981.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 187
  • uploadfromtaptalk1345004023811.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345004023811.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
I am guessing this may no be local for most..But Buckeye outdoors an maybe Vance's as well,have 20ft sniper climbing sticks for 39.99$ now..Woodbury in Coshocton has 20ft marksman sticks as well for the same price...Both have hang ons of the same brands mentioned above for $39.99 each.............I like the cheap hangon/fast sticks/LW bottom sticks idea,only problem is I only have the LW sticks and hang on right now...And boy do they give my fat ass a work out using them