Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

To wrap or not to wrap

Gordo

Athens County
Well I just orders a vector turbo bow from archery talk and it's in route to milo's spot. I'm really pumped up to have him get it tuned up for me and ready to roll.

I'm no archery expert and am pretty much telling him to do what he thinks best in terms of arrow selection.

I'm going to get a coulee dozen arrows of his choice but he asked me if I was interested in wraps or not.

The only benefit I can think of is finding the arrow easier and being able to detect what's on the arrow after a pass through.

Other then 'looking bad ass' what other benefits are there to getting wraps.

I use my bow strictly for hunting.

Just wanted to hear what you guys had to say

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
You pretty much nailed it. Some guys like them for refletching some don't.

I use wraps because the benefits outweigh the costs...

- Something I can personalize on my archery set up
- Easier to find after a shot especially since I get the reflective ones
- Trace on the arrow is easier to see.

Here is a pic with the example of the reflective effectiveness....

And this is with just using the camera flash on my POS phone.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1344915265776.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1344915265776.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 128

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep... Wraps make the arrow easier to see in flight, easier to find after shot, and easier to see blood/bubbles/tissue after a hit. They may also help provide better fletching adhesion, but that's about it.

IMO, re-fletching arrows that are wrapped is a royal pain in the ass. Maybe I just don't have the right strategy down yet... but whatever. For this reason, I rarely wrap my practice arrows.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Hey Gordo you coming to the TOO hunt down in your area? I would like to shoot your rig. I have an Alphaburner now but will probably get another bow after the 2013's come out and everyone dumps this years bow.

Gordo

Athens County
I'm due for an appearance to meet all you guys and considering you all will b right down the road it would b stupid to not stop by. Not sure how well you know Milo, but it looks like you live near him. If your over there when he's working on my bow don't hesitate to shoot that thing.

All the vector turbos I've shot at the bow shops are pretty damn buttery, I couldn't resist. Another reason I was bow shopping was to get 50-60 pound limbs. A lot more comfortable/easier to handle.

But if I make it to the Athens get together you can let'r rip. No sweat

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i will probably have to put rubber gloves on beentown so he doesn't get your bow pregnant....

In addition JBrown's positives..I also I feel they(wraps) make arrow prep and reflecthing easier an maybe safer....Safer because I worry about nicking an gouging the carbon when stripping vanes off,particularly when fast set Cyanoacrylate based super glues are used(my preferred type)..........Easier because I soak mine for a few mins in acetone,pull them out,take the softened wrap off,soak a few more min(if needed),and then strip the adhesive residue left by the wrap......One downside is for a 6-9 grain wraps your looking at a loss of 1.25%-1.5% Arrow FOC..Which may or may not matter,but it is a loss...Plain wraps are cheap enough..I think I pay 3$ or so for a dz plain solid color wraps.....

I will always use wraps on my carbon arrows. Makes re-fletching simple and no worries about gouging the arrow like Ohio Mossy Oak said. Heat them up with a hair dryer and they peel off easy. Mineral spirits take the adhesive reside off and your ready to go. One other note, always start your first fletch directly over the seam of your wrap. Helps insure that through the heat of summer the wrap will not twist, causing the fletches to get out of alignment.