Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's your firearm of choice?

If it were a matter of being able to carry anything you legally could carry, during the Deer Gun Season...
What would be your choice? ...and why?

* Shotgun: scoped, open sights, bolt-action, pump, semi-auto, etc.
* Muzzleloader: inline, sidelock, scoped, open sights, etc.
* Handgun: revolver, semi-auto, single-shot, scoped, open sights, etc.

Thank you, Bowhunter57

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd stick with my CVA Optima Elite topped with Bushnell Trophy 3x9 scope. It is not the best muzzleloader on the market, nor is the lightest gun to be toting around the woods. But I have more memories in the woods around this gun than any other in my collection. My wife has become very proficient with it and has used it to kill 4 deer since I bought it. It shoots well enough for me and kills deer, plus offers that sweet sensation of "one shot, one kill". There are a lot of other guns out there, but I'd take this one over any that I could throw out there for now...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Up until this year it was a 12 ga Marlin Slugmaster... After going on numerous drives last year with it I sold it and picked up a Savage Model 220.... We'll see what happens here shortly with it.... I have too pick up my scope and then get it zeroed in..... But the reviews for it look good.....

jeremy44230

Medina County
Thompson Center Omega with Bushnell 3-9 x 40.

Gift from my wife years ago. One of those guns that just feels right and comfortable, may not be the latest and greatest but I wouldn't trade it for anything! Killed many deer with it! Love it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344894679.998636.jpg

Schu72

Streetsboro
Wouldn't trade my set up for anything...

Ithaca Deerslayer II 12ga fully rifled barrel, Bushnell 3x9x40 3200 elite firefly.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My "favorite gun" is my 17hmr. Since you said for deer season, it rules this one out. It really depends on the situation. If I am doing a soft push (aka drive) then it is open sights 870 Express. If I am sitting in a stand it is my TC Omega with the Nikon Omega BDC scope. If I had to narrow it to just one, it would be the Omega.

I do have a 243 that is a thing of beauty and shoots clover leafs with factory loads. I am itching bad to test it out and hope to get the opportunity during the KY rifle season this year. Maybe not the best high power choice out there, but if you put the bullet in the right place it will be more than adequate. Until then, I will continue killing paper with it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For deer, it'd have to be the trusty Remington 870 pump... with a pinned Hastings cantilever barrel, topped with either a Leupold or Vortex 3-9x40 scope, and shooting 3" Federal Premium Barnes Expanders.

I have a Mossberg 500 Turkey Special, 12 guage, 3" chamber. Last fall, I broke down and finally purchased a cantalever rifle slug barrel with a 3x9 scope, at Dick's. They had it on sale for $170, so I couldn't pass it up. I picked up some Federal sabots with the Barns expander bullets and I was very impressed with the combined performance. 2" groups at 60 yards and the doe that I shot went down on the spot. She got up in a single leap, fell, jumped 2 more times and crashed. The area looked like an O.J. murder scene...nice blood "trail".

Often, I've entertained the thought of a Ruger Bisley Hunter, in .44 Mag. Some day, perhaps.

Bowhunter57