Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone got a LW Hand Climber???

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've been kicking an idea around in my head for a while now on a way to improve versatility with my mobile setup and reduce pack-in weight, but just haven't acted on it. Saw a video today that got me going again, and I'd like to do some experimenting. Only problem is I need some help, so I'm turning to TOO! Does anyone out there have a LW Hand climber seat they might be willing to let me borrow for a week or two? I would cover shipping costs, and promise to return the seat to you unharmed. I'm just to cheap to purchase a new Hand Climber seat to try this out if it isn't gonna work as I had imagined.

Thanks in advance fellas!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ray Olenic had one he was going to sell. I don't know if he still has it or not, but will check with him.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Send a PM to Carpn. I know he's got a LW or two, but I don't remember if it's the hand climber or the sit-and-climb model.

Looking forward to seeing what you've got in mind, Greg...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
It's not like it's top secret, so I will share. Just don't know how it's gonna work. I was thinking of trying to use a single muddy stick with the LW hand climber seat as a platform to climb a tree and hang a stand. My concern right now is getting past limbs using the stick, then resetting the climber. It's probably gonna be more effort than it is worth to save the weight, but Dangit I wanna try. I'd it works, I believe it will knock around 8lbs off my total setup. If I climb a tree with no limbs, it could save me 11lbs.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It's not like it's top secret, so I will share. Just don't know how it's gonna work. I was thinking of trying to use a single muddy stick with the LW hand climber seat as a platform to climb a tree and hang a stand. My concern right now is getting past limbs using the stick, then resetting the climber. It's probably gonna be more effort than it is worth to save the weight, but Dangit I wanna try. I'd it works, I believe it will knock around 8lbs off my total setup. If I climb a tree with no limbs, it could save me 11lbs.

Pretty good idea there, Flutey. My only concern would be using the hand climber as a platform for your feet. That small little platform will put your feet, and your body weight, closer to the truck of the tree... In my head this is resulting in less leverage and therefore less stability. I could be wrong, but in my head it seems like that little platform could get squirrely on you real quick. Also, I'm thinking that it'll take more arm strain than normal to hold your body weight up on that stick while you lift your feet with the platform... again due to decreased leverage. All that being said, I still think it's well worth giving it a try man.