Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scouting River Walk

bigdave

Since it was 59° this morning I decided to don the 5mm neoprenes and hit the river to do some preseason scouting and prep some blind sets.

Looking downstream

Two blind sets here- 1 between rocks and 1 on point of rock to right side of pic
Picture 2

Another double set- each end of log on trail - probably put some lure or fish oil in hole at end of log
Picture 3

Another blind where the bank ends forcing the coon & mink to the river
Picture 4

Same pic from further away
Picture 5

Need you good mink guys to weigh in here. As you can see this river is loaded with the root balls but I struggle to set them. Where does the trap go?
Picture 6

Trap in each end of this 24" piece of tile. Even has 2" or so of mud inside to bed the traps
Picture 7

Beaver cutting the corn? Saw just 1 other place that had corn in river and only 1 spot where the bark was chewed on some roots (pic to come)
Picture 8

Once again this just looks "minky" but I would struggle
Picture 9

Same trouble again
Picture 10

Best thing of the whole trip not 1 dead coon in the river... looks like we may be spared the distemper outbreak this year

badger

*Supporting Member*
That river is full of possibilities for mink and coon sets. That could definitely be beaver hitting the corn. Were there beaver tracks present?

You have the bank blind spots pin pointed well. I love blind sets and I'm very partial to pocket sets as well. As far as those root tangles, I usually avoid them and move farther down stream. If I was to set them I would find a spot or two for bottom edge sets with 110's.

I would also venture up higher on the bank and look for trails in the high weeds. Mink absolutely love mice and small rodents. If the corn field is close I'm thinking you will find trails in the weeds and grass that lead to the corn. Guard these with mink snares or small RGB's. A few dirt holes baited for coon or fox close to the corn will pick up mink too.

Good luck Dave! :smiley_coolpeace: