Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

College burn out

Take next semester off or not?

• Total voters

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
So how did you all deal with it?

After this class (I've got three weeks left) I'll only be three courses from completing my degree. I'm only taking one at a time, but between work, the move, and life I'm getting burned out. I tried to drop my current class, but had to suck it up because I had already participated in it and would owe Devry a couple hundred dollars. I'm doing OK, but my heads not in the game and I'm pretty much just going through the motions.

I'm seriously considering taking next session off (each session is 8 weeks and there are two sessions per semester). I have on class left for my major and the only event during that period is my elk trip, but the way the hunt is set up I'll have time to get in a few postings, probably knock out my home work and stay on track.

After that course I'll have two cap stone classes and I'm done. I'm not sure how difficult they'll be but considering one is only three credit hours and the other is two.

I can't tell you how many people I've met that have become burnt out towards the end of finishing their degrees and take a semester off. The bad thing is the majority of these folks take the semester off and never come back. Considering the fact that I'm looking to retire in year or two I doubt that would happen, but with distractions like deer season I could see how it would easily happen.

So what do you think? Sound I take some time off to recoup and then dive back in or suck it up and press on?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've always found when doing courses is that it's easier too stay focused and finish them then trying too get restarted and back in the game.... But you know yourself better than anyone else and know the chances of starting it back up and getting it done...... You stated you've know people who took on off and never got back into it.... Sounds like there's a reason you put that out there..... Just sayin......

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Finish it up brother... The more time you take off, the less you're going to wanna start back up.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm in the same boat. I've been contemplating taking time off and letting the finances recuperate. But, I know if I stop I may not finish. So, I'm with the masses here. Stay the course. That's what I'm gonna do. My next class starts next week and it puts me one step closer to the end. Stick with it and push on.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Finish it up brother... The more time you take off, the less you're going to wanna start back up.

my thoughts exaxtly...you "take a break" and it is going to only get more difficult to finish up. Just put your head down and bang it out.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I hated school. I think I took 2 quarters in a row once or twice. In the end, I finished my associates degree. Only took 9 years. lmao

Suck it up.

Huckleberry Finn

My last year of school I was as burnt out as burnt out could be...hence the reason why I'm working and not going for more school. Funny though, less than 3 months out of graduation I found myself in a one day a week, 15 week class...and I love it..

Suck it up and keep going.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Thanks for motivating me. Truth be told I haven't had a bag of jalepeno cheetos in a while (the whole monthly weigh in thing affected my cheetos intake). I'll get some tomorrow. That should help my motivation.