Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New Mexico count down

Prediction: Will TF get a bull

• Yes a bull larger than 350 inches

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
59 days!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
What area you hunting Major???? I have a buddy hunting out there as well..... I think about the same time frame, he's been scouting and has set up some cameras..... He lives out there so that's a plus for him as well....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
J, we'll be hunting Unit 15, but I'm not sure which area in the unit yet. It's pretty darn big!

My buddy is hunting a unit (not sure which one) and there's 30+ guys hunting it and they basically get like 5 miles too themselves from the sound of it.... He's got some pictures of some pretty good bulls and some bears too boot..... Oh and watch out for them there pumas...... :smiley_coolpeace:

PS, just heard from him and it's area 4B and 14-27 Sept.....

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Man I can't wait. Our chances for drawing these tags were only 7.2%! I just wish I had a few years of elk hunting experience under my belt though. I've read books, and watched DVD's, but nothing compares to actual hands on field experience. I think If I were bowhunting I'd be really worried. Since I'm using an ML capable of at least 150 yards then that'll help out for sure. I'm more concerned about finding elk and getting on them.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You going with an outfitter of by yourself???? My buddy is archery and on his own.... But like I said he's anhour or two from where he's hunting and has been scouting a lot....

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
You going with an outfitter of by yourself???? My buddy is archery and on his own.... But like I said he's anhour or two from where he's hunting and has been scouting a lot....

No real guide service except for them checking in on us. DonV and I will be pretty much on our own. Right now the plan is to split up and go it alone to maximize our chances.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You will have a ball out there TF. I've hunted NM four or five times and been in elk every trip. You know how it is, cover ground, find em and kill em. YOU DA MAN!

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
My tag is for a mature bull only. A mature bull is one with a brow time six inches long or four inches of forked antler. I think the first three day I'm going to hold out for something 280 or bigger. Come day four I may drop my standards to the first legal bull I see. The tag is only good for five days and this is only my second time hunting elk. I've done some reading on elk habits, calling, and looking over maps of the area, but with out actually scouting the area I'm a bit concerned.

The good news is that there are only 200 hunters for the entire unit (It's big too), there is a three week break in between archery and ML season, and we should be catching the very tail end of the rut (or so I'm told). Don and I are going to split up so we increase our chances of success. If one of us gets one then we'll rally and help pack out the meat and then help the other get his bull.

I'm in probably the best mountain hiking shape I've ever been in. I've got most of the equipment I need and the stuff I don't have I'll get in the coming weeks.

I have two plans. The first is to listen for the bulls and then try to sneak in or cut them off. I'm going to keep my calling to a minium and do what ever I can to get 100 yards from the bull. I've got a few cow calls, but since I'm not confident with them I'm going to use them sparingly. I'm going to avoid using my bugle unless I'm trying to locate a bull. Once he bugles then I'm going after him. The second plan is to hunt over water holes/wallows. I might do this during the mid afternoon when things quite down.

Another concern I have is how I'm going to get the meat and horns home. I'm thinking of using FEDEX and have it over nighted to my home in PA. The only way I'm going to keep the cape for a mount is if I shoot a true monster. Elk are just to big and will take up the entire house. I also don't have $2,000 to pay for it either. I'm going with the euro mount thing otherwise.

I do feel some pressure because of the cost of the tag (it's A LOT), but the good news is that its the most expensive piece of the whole trip (I used my frequent flyer miles to get a free round trip ticket). I'll admit I would feel better if I could shoot a cow, but I guess that's how it goes. Either way the adventure is gonna be fun.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You have a great plan! I'm no elk expert, but that is exactly what I would do. FED EX that stuff home! The last tag I bought (year before last) was 540, I think. It is crazy what they charge to hunt, but it isn't something you do every week. I think the next time I go will be during the muzzy season the first part of December. A guy I went out there bowhunting with my first trip went last year, and said they saw HUNDREDS of elk. The snow pushed more onto the mesa we bowhunted, and he had a great time. I hope you have a great hunt, and I am betting with Don V you will!

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
You have a great plan! I'm no elk expert, but that is exactly what I would do. FED EX that stuff home! The last tag I bought (year before last) was 540, I think. It is crazy what they charge to hunt, but it isn't something you do every week.

We are in a limited draw unit so our tag was just over $700! However, I'm sure it'll be worth it.

58 days!