Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bent Brow

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here is Bent Brow. He is quite the photogenic fellow. I haven't counted, but I literally have hundreds of pics of him from May/June and as late as today. I have never seen a deer and been able to look at him and think "That dude is going to blow up", but I think this is what I am seeing. I have seen many more that I thought would blow up that disappear or only put on a few inches the next year. I think this guy has major potential though!

I honestly think this is a deer I can kill. I have him pinned down right now, and I passed him last year from the stand. He put on a ton this year compared to last if it is the same deer! I videod him as he walked by. I need to dig out the footage. He has amazing length, but I am thinking when the velvet peels he is going to look a little anemic in the mass department. While I think he is a beauty right now, he is running with another buck (right split brow buck) which I also feel is young. I have seen pictures of these two standing next to a couple others which I know are older bucks. I don't know if I would say 2.5 but I would not put him any older than 3.5.

I do not say this to sound cocky or arrogant, but I am seriously thinking I need to pass on this one. I really think he has a lot of potential ahead of him. I might kick myself later, but seeing him 2 years running, I will roll the dice and hope he makes it. If the guys hunting to my east kill him, good for them. I hope they call so Hank can track him and I will help them drag the deer out. If anyone to the south or west of my kills him. . . they are trespassing. lol

I don't know. I REALLY hope he shrinks a ton when the velvet peels. The more I look at him, the more I am realizing he will be TOUGH to pass on. lmao

Attachments

• 280.jpg
    280.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 280
  • 278.jpg
    278.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 240
  • 265.jpg
    265.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 298
  • 262.jpg
    262.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 268
  • 263.jpg
    263.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 259

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
He's gonna look like a stud when the rut gets near and his neck swells up. I'd probably let one rip at him. :)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
He's gonna look like a stud when the rut gets near and his neck swells up. I'd probably let one rip at him. :)

I know. But look at those long legs, with the shorter front legs and skinny neck. Might be just the way he is standing, but I am just not seeing a real old deer here. Dang is this going to be tough to pass on.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
He looks to be at least 3.5 yrs old to me. I just have a feeling he'd be awfully tempting when walking under a treestand.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
He looks to be at least 3.5 yrs old to me. I just have a feeling he'd be awfully tempting when walking under a treestand.

No doubt about it. Guess I will find out when the moment arrives (if it does). lmao

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I agree he's 3.5 years old. I also agree he could be much bigger a year or two later. Uneven brows and no g4 on his right side too. I'm not picking at him Phil, just stating the obvious. I agree with JB and you in that he'll be tempting once rut comes along but you have some older bucks up there to target and he does look to have great potential. If you do elect to harvest him then I'll be very happy for you because he did fall to your arrow and you chose to take him. He is a very nice deer. Goodluck in your decision buddy!

Just wanted to add this, there are never any guarantees any buck we miss or pass on is going to make it to the following year. Is it a chance we are willing to make? We all get tested every so often.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree he's 3.5 years old. I also agree he could be much bigger a year or two later. Uneven brows and no g4 on his right side too.
Just wanted to add this, there are never any guarantees any buck we miss or pass on is going to make it to the following year. Is it a chance we are willing to make? We all get tested every so often.

Brows are not that far off I don't think. Just has the right one angling back. I think the lengths are similar. You are correct also in that he will be scored as an eight.

Is it a chance I am willing to take? I think I will know when/if I see him from the stand Ric. Unless I am seeing the opportunity at several bigger than him, I am guessing probably not. Then again, what are the chances of having "several" bigger? My name is Phil, not JD. lol

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Great looking buck! Better than anything im seeing this year so I cant honestly say what I would do. Hes a great 3.5 yr old and would be a SUPER 4.5 yr old if he makes it

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Best of luck with whatever you decide to do Phil, I think he would look great on the wall this year, but I also think he will look great given another year!

You will know what to do when crunch time comes!!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
"Catch phrase" worthy for me. I have been saving my catch phrases and that stops this year if given the opportunity! Lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Still on the "maybe" list. I think I might have found his big brother today. Will see if I can't get some pictures of him. He is running a property we have not stepped foot on except to plant the beans. No cameras. No foot traffic. No disturbances. Making it tough when you see them road scouting, but I would rather have a slew of bucks running the property come season than have a bunch of nocturnal pictures. Time will tell if it is worth it or not.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Nice Deer Hicks. That one will probably be a tough call from the stand. I'd say he better not show-up on a slow day or he's dead.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Still in velvet. Still on the fence. He is a great deer. No doubt there. I would LOVE to tag another buck this year, but I will enjoy my season either way. For this reason, I am on the fence. Meat in the freezer first. Taxidermy bill second. I have a great uncle that can't hold back. He owns great property in KY. My cousin said "He has killed more deer than the blue tongue but he can't hold back. He sees a spike, and he is shooting just so he can say 'I got my buck'." I love my uncle, and I admire his woodsman skills. I am not going to follow his lead though in regards to bucks. I just don't have that mindset. We are 2 generations apart and our mentalities in regards to bucks are just different.

I will not lie though. When this one walks by the stand (if he does), it will be a decision I make at the moment of truth. He is a beauty. Funny part here is the other two on my wall are also 9pt bucks. Maybe it is meant to be? lmao

Ric- You are correct. That bent back brow IS shorter. He will be scored as an 8pt with maybe 3-4" brow due to the short one?

Another interesting observation. Bent Brow buck and Right Split have run together all summer. Since Right Split has shed velvet his demeanor has changed. They used to take turns at the mineral lick. Now it is all Right Split. When Bent Brow shows up his head is down and he is cowering away. If RS drops his head, BB backs off and comes back later when RS is done. Pretty cool to see their body postures and dispositions change as the seasons change and the testosterone increases. I would say BB is bigger, but right now RS is in charge!

Attachments

• 242 (800x600).jpg
    242 (800x600).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 236 (800x600).jpg
    236 (800x600).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 201
  • 184 (800x600).jpg
    184 (800x600).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 229
  • 186 (800x600).jpg
    186 (800x600).jpg