Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

SE Ohio per acre cost

joshobrien77

Have an opportunity to buy 22 acres of wooded land in SE Ohio with timber and mineral rights. What's average cost?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
There are a lot more factors to consider than just the basics like minerals and timber. Is it mature timber? Are the minerals in an area of interest to the Utica boom? Can the 22 acres be subdivided? Availability of utilities, school district, etc...

I'd say it can range from $2-5K per acre or more. I'm in the oil and gas business, so I may be able to answer that part of the equation. Feel free to PM me the area and I'll do what I can to help. You can also use the county auditor's site (assuming that county has theirs open to the public) to research similar parcels and what they sold for.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
depends. Proximity to city / hillside / tillable / water etc.. From what I have seen 1,000-2,500 in vinton county

joshobrien77

Its hill and valley in meigs that will be used as a block for recreation and hunting. Has a nice stocked pond.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The only problem with owning 22acres anywhere is you will want 22 more soon. lol Wish I could be of more help on the value. We have been watching several properties in southern Ohio. Some have truly surprised us on how high they went. Some we have kicked ourselves for not pursuing further. You never know, but I wish you luck!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The ground in Jefferson and Harrison is right in the Utica "hot bed" and have garnered leases in the $6K an acre range, making that some of the priciest ground in Ohio. With recent developments in the Utica, Meigs is in no real jeopardy of becoming the next boom town and quite honestly, the minerals are not worth more than $1K an acre down there, if that. My opinion is that what you are looking to buy should got for $2K an acre, plus or minus $500 an acre depending on other variables. That's just my opinion. Don't let them try and hard sell you on the minerals being worth big money and if they do, let me know and I'll get you some information to show them they are wrong. Fact of the matter is even some of the areas that were supposed to be gold mines, are proving not to be that way after the first year of production.

Gordo

Athens County
Yep. In meigsico you can find land in the $1500 range. My buddy is looking into adding to his spread and buying another 200 acres on top of what he has. Ill keep u posted on prices

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The ground in Jefferson and Harrison is right in the Utica "hot bed" and have garnered leases in the $6K an acre range, making that some of the priciest ground in Ohio. With recent developments in the Utica, Meigs is in no real jeopardy of becoming the next boom town and quite honestly, the minerals are not worth more than $1K an acre down there, if that. My opinion is that what you are looking to buy should got for $2K an acre, plus or minus $500 an acre depending on other variables. That's just my opinion. Don't let them try and hard sell you on the minerals being worth big money and if they do, let me know and I'll get you some information to show them they are wrong. Fact of the matter is even some of the areas that were supposed to be gold mines, are proving not to be that way after the first year of production.

Yep. The average I saw on MLS for Meigs with rights is $2,200ish.