Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Saturday is the day...

runhunter

We drove out to OH, from NJ, 3 weeks ago, and spread 8 cameras over the 400 acres we have permission to hunt. My buddy and I are leaving his place in PA, at 3am, hoping to get to OH by 10/10:30am, pull all 8 cameras, maybe hang a set or 2, and get back in the truck and drive back. It might be the longest camera check ride I'll ever take, but hopefully it's worth it. We plan on hunting opening week, and then the first week of November (depending on if we're tagged out and the weather, might be 2nd week if it's colder). A 3 week soak should tell us, at a minimum, if there are any shooters hanging locally for Sept 29.
I'm used to checking cameras once a week here in NJ, but the excitement of what could be on there, compared to what I'm used to seeing, is killing me.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We drove out to OH, from NJ, 3 weeks ago, and spread 8 cameras over the 400 acres we have permission to hunt. My buddy and I are leaving his place in PA, at 3am, hoping to get to OH by 10/10:30am, pull all 8 cameras, maybe hang a set or 2, and get back in the truck and drive back. It might be the longest camera check ride I'll ever take, but hopefully it's worth it. We plan on hunting opening week, and then the first week of November (depending on if we're tagged out and the weather, might be 2nd week if it's colder). A 3 week soak should tell us, at a minimum, if there are any shooters hanging locally for Sept 29.
I'm used to checking cameras once a week here in NJ, but the excitement of what could be on there, compared to what I'm used to seeing, is killing me.

Hope you get what you're after.... What county you hunting in? Wouldn't a camera that sends phots too your cell/computer be a better option some day? You can have someone who is close by move them for you if the areas aren't producing.... Save time money and road trips like this one..... Still need too do the hanging of the stands one but that'd be fewer ones in the long run..... Is the area safe enough too let stands stay out for extended periods of time?

runhunter

well considering I'm used to hunting over crowded state woods here in NJ, where I've had a few cameras/stands stolen, I wouldn't ever consider spending the coin for the cameras that send the pictures as they take them. Without a doubt, it may be something to look into for next year. We also thought about asking my girlfriend's uncle, to take down all the cameras and mail them back to us. I'm just already thankful enough for the permission to hunt there, the use of the Polaris/quad. We felt by asking him to take down cameras, possibly move them etc, that it would be a burden. They have farm work and families, so, I know they're busy. We made the choice to hang them, knowing it'd be a PIA to get them back, so we'll do what we have to. It's only right. If a good one falls this fall, even if it's not mine, every second spent was well worth it.

It is in Scioto County, and I hope it's safe enough to leave stands/cameras. We'll find out if all 8 cameras are still around haha. I'm not going nuts yet with hanging sets, maybe 1 or 2 tops in the one no brainer spot where movement is/sb easier to figure out. The other spot might take some sits in a climber to figure out how theyre moving, and dial in. If that's the case, we'll hang them mid day after the morning hunt in Oct, or just stay in a climber and get after it

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I bet you guys are stoked and anxious! Goodluck and I hope you got some dandies on film. Looking forward to your updates.

runhunter

Thanks FS, appreciate it. Anxious isn't the word.. I'll be on the lap top as soon as we get back in the truck, hopefully with good news to report. It's a good road trip even if the cameras don't show what we want.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thanks FS, appreciate it. Anxious isn't the word.. I'll be on the lap top as soon as we get back in the truck, hopefully with good news to report. It's a good road trip even if the cameras don't show what we want.

Christmas in August :smiley_coolpeace:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sounds great guys.. Yall sure are putting in the work! Hope it all comes together.

runhunter

Thanks! Best part of it all, my girlfriend started bow hunting last year. Took her test in the middle of the season and jumped right in. She got to full draw once on a doe, but never took the shot because she wasn't comfortable with the distance. I've since, bought her a new Bow Tech (Assassin - black ops)for Valentine's Day(to hell with jewelry), boots, harness for birthday, and she just bought herself a new suit. She's geared up and ready to go, and shooting darts at 20. I even have her fletching her own arrows, so don't worry, the pink wraps aren't mine.
She's only pulling 44 pounds, but we've beens shooting a lot, so I hope to get her up another full turn or so before the season. My point to all this is, why do I have a feeling, when we go back in September, this girl's first deer is going to be one to remember??? Never had an encounter with a buck while hunting, and I just get this pit in my stomach telling me I'm going to get a text around 6:45 pm saying "I just shot a monster". Usually how it works right?? Is there a better way to introduce/hook someone on hunting than having them in a stand in Southern OH for a week? It's taken me a looooong time to lock up private property in a place like this, so I want her to take her lumps as they are part of it, but damn.. talk about spoiled. Not a bad group, for a girl haha

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af175/Billy25883/group21yds.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yeah, I'd say she's got it down with the targets.... The real thing is the thing that'll test her :smiley_coolpeace: Shaking like a leaf on a tree heart pounding and the moment arrives :smiley_clap: Glad too hear you have a partner that likes what you like too do....

runhunter

haha, she was all jacked up just getting to full draw on a slick, who knows if she'll be able to pull it off when ole mossy horns comes strollin by. I have faith in her though. She doesn't think about deer all day, every day, like I do, so maybe the fever doesn't hit her as bad? Who knows... I'd like nothing more than for her to be rewarded for putting in the time and the countless hours watching the Sportsmen Channel haha..

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That is awesome that you and your GF are hunting together and shooting together. Hope y'all knock down some monsters down this year.