Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Monster bucks found locked on Dream Season

Schu72

Streetsboro
Did anyone else see last nights episode? I'm not a regular viewer, just happened to be channel surfing.

Anyway the father son team (I Think) were heading into their stand location and found their two biggest buck locked up in a field. These deer both had to be 170+. They knew both deer and had trail cam pictures of both. Both were still alive, but the smaller of the two looked completely spent. Both hunters still had buck tags......so you know what happened......they wroked their butts off to set them free. The larger buck still had a ton of energy and was thrashing about. The hunters ended up lassoing the bucks an tying them to the hitch on their truck. The smaller buck had a non-typical/droptine point on his right antler that they thought was keeping them locked. From the safety of the bed of the truck they used a pole saw to cut off the droptine. One of the hunters jumped out of the truck and pulled the rope from the antlers and pulled the antlers apart. Both bucks just sat there for a moment. then the larger one took off. The smaller laid there for quite a while. The hunters finally started touching the downed deer on the back with their rope and the deer finally got up. He was very unsteady on his feet, but did stagger off. The footage was incredible. Glad I got to see it. Only thing was they did not give any follow up on if they saw the deer again. Maybe in another episode there will be an update. I hope some of you get the chance to see this footage.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Wow. That's a once in a million event. I'm not sure how I would react if I were put in that situation. It would be hard not to kill one of the bucks and tag it, yet it would be difficult to not have compassion for those majestic animals either and set them free.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't normally watch this show either, but I will have to check that one out. Like Gern said, it would be a tough decision.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If one (or both for that matter) of the bucks were in bad shape like I think the one was then yeah putting it down would be a good option too do, because chances are that if he was that wore out he may not recuperate before the yotes got too him, or he was in shock and never pulled out of it.....

Schu72

Streetsboro
I don't think I would be able to kill one of them. Although legal, it wouldn't sit right with me. It would be more of an execution than a hunt.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I'd like to think if they had a chance of living I'd set them free also. At the least you would have the same feeling if you found their skulls later on if they perished. It would make an awesome mount though:smiley_chinrub:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I don't think I would be able to kill one of them. Although legal, it wouldn't sit right with me. It would be more of an execution than a hunt.

And then the next day one of them would get hit on the road by some woman talking on her cell phone....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I had to laugh to myself after checking out the link Jesse provided. The pics of the guys in the group looking all badass prison mugshots is hilarious though. The guy called coonie or such a few years ago was sobbing like a baby after killing his first good buck and now hes all baddass tv celeb.:smiley_crocodile:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I had to laugh to myself after checking out the link Jesse provided. The pics of the guys in the group looking all badass prison mugshots is hilarious though. The guy called coonie or such a few years ago was sobbing like a baby after killing his first good buck and now hes all baddass tv celeb.:smiley_crocodile:

Just cause the guy cried cause he killed a good buck I dont think makes him a pussy. I mean, some guys are badass and wear there emotions on their sleeves, I played football with some dudes who would cry before games cause they were fired up, but I wouldnt wanna toss with them on a friday night.

I get frustrated with some tv shows, but come on guys we cant just look for things to complain about. I am on a few forums, and all guys do is look for things to critique. Its getting to be like the PETA people who watch hunting shows then bitch, if you hate it that much just ignore it ya know.

Not going off on you finelyshedded, just an observation I have made overall.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I think what Ric is alluding too is it pretty funny to see a guy who you know is not a hardass, play that role. I've been a long time fan of the Drurys and old Coondog is not a guy who really fits that role!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I think what Ric is alluding too is it pretty funny to see a guy who you know is not a hardass, play that role. I've been a long time fan of the Drurys and old Coondog is not a guy who really fits that role!

Thanks Jesse, that is what I was alluding too. Sorry 1010'if I came off that way. I've shed some tears myself over past hunting successes and other things that I've poured my heart and soul into and him crying was not my point. Like Jesse said, it's the persona of him in the picture that I was getting too. I like coondog, but comeon, he's no Bounty Hunter or convict.

As I said before the Drurys are tops among the TV hunting personalities, IMO.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Thanks Jesse, that is what I was alluding too. Sorry 1010'if I came off that way. I've shed some tears myself over past hunting successes and other things that I've poured my heart and soul into and him crying was not my point. Like Jesse said, it's the persona of him in the picture that I was getting too. I like coondog, but comeon, he's no Bounty Hunter or convict.

As I said before the Drurys are tops among the TV hunting personalities, IMO.

Yea I agree with you and see where you were coming from too. Sometime the drama does get a bit much, but I rather see "coondog" out there killing deer everyday then stan potts! Talk about a fake! I dont know coondog he might be a badass! haha Stan potts is a faking overdramatic, acts like a five year old girl who got her first barbie, everytime he shoots a deer. So i just dont watch him anymore hahaha!

No hard feelings, thats what these forums are good for sharing ideas, thoughts, and more in a civil manner! Thanks Shedded

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
No prob man! "Please give me a minute"! Haha Then he opens his eyes and looks at the camera and one is looking way off yonder. Lol

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
No prob man! "Please give me a minute"! Haha Then he opens his eyes and looks at the camera and one is looking way off yonder. Lol

Don't forget the multitude of awkward "Ass Out" manhugs he gives to his camera man and guide and any other random dude the happens to be around.Haha. Honestly, I still like to watch his craziness though. I think his feelings are genuine

runhunter

I couldn't agree more about Potts. Sure he kills big deer, but so would anyone else who had the access that he did. I'd rather see a Joe and John video from the guys who live down the street, with raw emotion and unscripted commentary. I'm not sure why he feels his "gimme a second here folks" is what every one wants to here. Save the tag line fella.. it's about as old and washed up and Chris Berman and his schtick