Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2012 Arrow Selection

Schu72

Streetsboro
Since the broadhead discussion is going se well..:smiley_coolpeace::smiley_coolpeace: how about we talk about arrows? (and to show off some Skeeter Creek Outdoors product)

This year I made a slight switch. Went from Beman ICS Hunter 340s to Beman ICS Hunter Pro 340s with helical blazers. They fly pretty sweet and I like the feel of the mirolite S nocks. Can't wait to test them on the real deal.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've always shot Easton axis arrows. Just really like them and think their tough. Never really looked in to anything else.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've shot Easton arrows from Day 1 of my archery career. Shot 2117 Game Getters for a long time, then switched to carbons and the Easton Epics when they came out. I shot the Axis' for years and they are tough as nails. I shoot the Flatlines now and absolutely love them. I'm an Easton for life guy!!!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Right now I have Gold Tip X Cutters for my target arrows and HT-2's for my hunting set up. I have shot many brands and most are stellar really. I really liked how yours turned out Schu.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Those are some purty arrahs, Schu!

I've hunted with Easton Flatlines for the past two seasons and I've good luck with them. For a relatively-light arrow, they are extremely tough. This year, however, I've decided to switch things up and I'm moving to the other end of the spectrum. Instead of a featherweight 376-380 gr setup, I'm bumping up to about 480 grains... Easton ST Excel .300's, with 150 gr heads on the front and Rayzr feathers on the back... for around 16% FOC. I have not shot them yet... heck I don't even have them made yet... But as soon as my most recent Skeeter Creek Outdoors shipment comes in I'll have pics posted up real quick.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I have said this to shu72...i was really impressed with those shafts. They have a real nice finish and are consistent. They are worth the money in my opinion. I am not impressed with easton bloodline or axis shafts this year. They come with a wrap on them that borders on pathetic. Its also a beeyatch to get them off.

Nice looking arrows Schu !!

This year I am shooting 400 spine Victory HV001,Rayzr feathers,a 6inch plain wrap,Std Bohning nock an 100grains up front.... For practice I just been using random colored wraps an feathers..I still have 10 raw shafts that I going to build with pink wraps,white nocks an 3 white rayzrs ...

I have really been liking the Bohning helix jig for 2in and smaller vanes..I like it so much I bought a spare helix clamp an sanded the slot to accommodate 2in feathers.I also found 2 str8 offset clamps and 2 arrow holders for micro shafts for it when shopping......

jeremy44230

Medina County
Ok... Looking for input and/or suggestions

Shooting Gold Tip Hunter XT's. I like these arrows and work well. Thinking about new ones and using NAP quick fletch on em. Thoughts on this? My preference are lighter, flatter shooting arrows opposed to knock down power.

Ok... Looking for input and/or suggestions

Shooting Gold Tip Hunter XT's. I like these arrows and work well. Thinking about new ones and using NAP quick fletch on em. Thoughts on this? My preference are lighter, flatter shooting arrows opposed to knock down power.

Switched from XT and Pro Hunters to lighter shafts for that very reason.......I have heard mixed reviews on the quick fletches..

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I was watching this weeks heartland bowhunter and they a doe with quick fletches and it ripped the vanes and wrap completely off except for the front end

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
When I first started shooting, i bought a dozen easton st epic 340s. I still have 10 of the 12. i will continue to shoot them until they are all gone.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was watching this weeks heartland bowhunter and they a doe with quick fletches and it ripped the vanes and wrap completely off except for the front end

I saw that one, too. It looked like that doe's ribs just stripped the fletchings clean off the shaft as it passed through.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I shoot just plain old carbon express arrows, group well for me. I like them.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I love the looks of those arrows Schu! Very impressive and I hope you spill some blood with them.

It looks like I will be shooting 2 different arrows this year. With my Hoyt I will continue to use the Radial X weaves, blazers, and a 100gr broadhead.

For the Elite GT500 I am going to have to go heavier. The Radial X Weave was too light. That bow was a good bit noisy. I shot one of Milo's 540gr arrows and it was night and day difference in both sound and penetration. Amazing how much further the heavier arrow buried itself into the target. We ended up deciding on a setup which should put me around 460gr if I remember correct. Honestly? I can't remember what the heck I asked Milo to order. Easton ST I think?

hunna771

I'm hunting with some cedar shafts this year instead of carbon. I think they fly way better. Cedar Shafts, 55-60lb, full length, 135 grain points/ broadheads. With helical fletched, shield cuts feathers. 2 yellow and 1 natural turkey feather...

2012setup.jpg
:D

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Easton epics phil..300's...your goodies are inbound

Sweet! I honestly don't care what they are. I just need to get dialed in and in the comfort zone at different yardages with the new bow. If they get the Milo approval, I don't care what flavor they are. I have tried several now and don't have any sort of brand loyalty developed yet.