Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone use a lever-action for coyotes?

I'm considering the purchase of a lever-action rifle for coyotes. All of my choices have been Marlin brands, due to their selection of calibers. Here are a few that I'm considering:
444XLR
308MX
336C (30-30)
1895 Cowboy (45/70)
1895XLR (45/70)

Has anyone used these calibers and/or actions for hunting coyotes?
What are your reasons for using a lever-action?
What is your caliber of choice?

I'm not concerned with saving the fur, as the coyotes in the area are a menace.

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

I've walked the woods with a marlin 336c 30-30 for many years and have killed a few yotes with it. The rifle handles very fast and is well balanced. Follow up shots are quick. With practice you a can fire two well aimed shots almost as fast as someone with semi auto can fire to well aimed shots. My marlin holds 6 rounds and is lightweight. The long neck on the 30-30 makes reloading easy and it has a good deal of power behind it with little recoil.

Archertl said:
All the Marlin lever actions coming out of the Remington plant seem to have issues. What a shame.
A real shocker! :smiley_arrogant: It would seem that everything Remington touches turns to crap. Much like when AMF took over Harley-Davidson and Brunswick bowling equipment...they nearly trashed both companies. I was glad to see then take their skanky hands off of the Russian Baikal line of shotguns...what they called their Spartan line of shotguns. All they had were distribution rights anyway. Simularly, now they've got their claws in the Bushmaster ARs. :smiley_depressive:

Anyway... I was on the phone with Milo, yesterday and he's advising me against the 444 and 45/70, based on vicious recoil. I'm not a recoil sensitive person, but at the same time, getting punched repeatedly isn't conducive to being able to enjoy a rifle. There are plenty of used 30/30s around, that will provide adiquate ballistics inside 150 yards...without beating up the shooter. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I want a .35 for bear hunting but I cant seem to find a decent used one. All the Marlin lever actions coming out of the Remington plant seem to have issues. What a shame.

I really like the .35's as well.... I have my Granddad's Remington pump .35 cal....

Well, I've got a Henry Big Boy, in .357 Mag. and I intend to either sell it and buy something else or trade it at the gun shop where I purchased it.

I'm still shopping for replacement and haven't settled in on anything, yet. :smiley_chinrub: I've considered another AR...I seen a DPMS Oricle the other day, for less than $600. However, I've always wanted a 10mm too...or a Ruger Bisley Hunter. Wednesday I'm going to TNT Firearms, in Findlay, to see what I can sort out of a good deal...or trade.

Thanks, guys, for all the info, thoughts and opinions.
Bowhunter57

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Just a note.
I have a Marlin carbine in the 44 mag (maybe 15 year old) and a Ruger Red hawk in the 44 as well. Its kinda cool to have a hand gun and carbine in the same cal. like the cowboys did...