Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lost an old friend today

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I knew the day was coming, but I was avoiding it as long as possible. Our old beagle, Daisy, had to be put down today. She was really struggling, lost her appetitie, and was justa shadow of her former self. I finally decided that I was being selfish and put aside my feelings and realized that this was best.
The last 48 hours showed her taking a real bad turn for the worse and it was time. I got ahold of my vet today and let my wife and kids say goodbye and I took the long ride out to his house.
We had Daisy before our oldest boy, Kody, was born. It was a great 13 years. She was great with the kids, she was great with every other pet we brought into the house, and she was an unbelievable rabbit dog. Together we bagged our fair share of bunnies and I used to laugh at her as she slept and made the whimpering noises that she would make when she first struck up a trail.
I can't say enough about what a great dog Daisy was. Hopefully she's back to chasing bunnies around now...
RIP old girl.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sorry too her this Mike.... Mine has a few more years in her but like you know the time is a commin and that's the one thing we can't stop..... Hope you get a chance too find a good replacement for her some day.... Hard too do but it's the cycle of life.... I went a few years without beagles and just didn't like not having them.....

Huckleberry Finn

I can say that I hunted rabbits over her! It was something to see her though in her old age wanting to run them this past February.

Sorry for your loss. I'm sure the kids and your wife are taking it hard as well.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Sorry to hear it Mike. Probably everyone here has gone through it and knows what you are feeling. They become like family.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I am so sorry for your loss Mike. I know what your are going through becasue as I think you remeber I had to put my Lab, Roto down a month ago. I sat by his grave everyday for hours crying. He was my best friend. Hang in there buddy.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Our final responsability to our pets is desiding when its time to do whats best for the pet.
I'm sorry for your loss of a good dog and family member.

jeremy44230

Medina County
Sorry for your loss. Pets become a true part of the family and are much like kids. My oldest brittany is getting up there and went blind last year. To be good to her, I will let her "tell" me when she is ready to go. We all owe that to our pets. She was an amazing bird dog in her time. You know the incredible bond that is made with a pet when it hunts with you and that makes it that much harder to see em go. Hope the kids are doing ok with the loss.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sorry to hear about this for the Cottis family. As you know, we just got a beagle. Amazes me to hear the kids talk about "Peanut" and how they miss her. She has been gone several years and we just recently got another small dog. I say this simply because you should hear and know the kids will not forget her. They will remember all the good times and memories. I am sure it has been better having you as part of the family the last 13 years than to never have had her. Hang in there.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks guys, it's been a rough day. Old hunts and the spots we roamed around chasing bunnies keep popping up into my head and it's tough to hold back the tears. My dad is taking this pretty hard too because he was on every single hunt too. In her heyday, there wasn't a weekend that went by in January and February where we weren't with her running rabbits. There were days when she'd go on a long run and we thought we wouldn;t see her again. Her deep, long bark would slowly disappear, then silence, then slowly reappear. Low and behold, she brought them rabbits back 9 times out of 10. She wasn't a fast tracker, but she was a good one.

In about 2004 I was a member of the Steubenville Beagle Club. In order to get in I had to have a dog with AKC papers. Dasiy wasn't papered, but I knew a guy that let me use his papers to get in. I would go work those trials and think to myself, "I know Daisy could win this thing or at least hold her own... papers schmapers." She was just a natural.

Huck, you mentioned having the chance to hunt with her. Man, I wish you could've seen her in her prime. You and Jay (and I'm sure many others on here) know a good dog. You would've loved her. This one guy we went with once, and only once (Lol), did nothing but brag on his dogs. Daisy brought every rabbit back that day and his got shutout. Never heard from him again. Lol

Last story... we were hunting the next hollow over from where we did the TOO rabbit hunt. Those who came know how thick it is. She brought one around and I shot it and it ended up rolling into the thickest of the thick. I always let the rabbits lay so she could come up on them and sink her teeth in a bit. She would always bite a little and then go back to work, forgetting about it. Well, she must've known I wasn't going to be able to get in after this one. She went in, grabbed it, brought it out, dropped it at my feet, and went about hunting for another. She never did it before and never did it after. Damn good dog...

Sorry for rambling, it helps ;)