Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lineman's Belt

Huckleberry Finn

Also, anyone tie their own prussic knots on rope (what size?) to make a static (think thats the right term) climbing line similar to the safety systems they sell?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Also, look for a lineman's belt with locking caribiners (muddy), as they give you that extra piece of mind that they wont pop open.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Is the Muddy belt better then the HSS strap?If so how?

I personally like a rope as opposed to an actual belt because it tends to stay stiffer making it easier to climb without getting hung up. Also, in the link Huck provided, the HSS belt doesn't have a locking caribiner, which makes me nervous, as I like to know once my biner is locked in, it isn't going anywhere if I bump it. I am by no means an expert on the subject, just my own personal opinion bases on my experience using a lineman's belt.

I personally like a rope as opposed to an actual belt because it tends to stay stiffer making it easier to climb without getting hung up. Also, in the link Huck provided, the HSS belt doesn't have a locking caribiner, which makes me nervous, as I like to know once my biner is locked in, it isn't going anywhere if I bump it. I am by no means an expert on the subject, just my own personal opinion bases on my experience using a lineman's belt.

.Both the locking biners an the stiffer rope vs Strap makes sense,,Sadly its its 15 or 20$ difference between the 2,and I admit im on a budget after dropping the wad on the stand,sticks and Molle 2 system(which dont work GREAT with a LW hang on btw)...

On another note you should make a faster vid with your LW sticks an the Linemans Rope now..
http://www.gomuddy.com/store/mainprod-muddy-accessories/460.html

Is this your suggestion then, Greg? Doesn't specifically say if the carabiner is locking or not.
If needed I have 3 or 4 locking(threaded right Greg)? around that I pulled off harnesses that come with stands..I can send them to ya if need be Huck...The stiffness of the rope vs strap is my concern now..I dont plan on leaving my setup out in the woods..Maybe right directly out back my home,but that is it..

So if im going up an down alot(and Im overweight)..The rope sounds easier an locking biners sounds safer for my load(maybe you TOO huck):smiley_crocodile: .....I have borrowed an used the HSS strap to play with my set up,that is the extent of my experience with it

Last edited:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
http://www.gomuddy.com/store/mainprod-muddy-accessories/460.html

Is this your suggestion then, Greg? Doesn't specifically say if the carabiner is locking or not.

Yes, that is the Lineman's Belt I was talking about, and if you look at the caribiner, you can see that it does indeed lock. I actually called muddy about this before I purchased my harness, because I wanted to ensure they did lock, and there wasn't any pictures or info at the time to say one way or the other.

Also, here is the 30' Safeline from Muddy:

http://www.gomuddy.com/store/mainprod-muddy-accessories/457.html

OMO, you are correct, I do need to put together another video, I just need a cool day to do so, that way I'm not sweating like a fat pig by the time I'm done! lol

Safetyline would be useless for a guy packing in/out each time right?...Im going to try 1 trip up the tree period and 1 down,is that doable?...

Go up gf319804 style with the stick caddy my bow/small pack on a rope an the stand on another rope..Set the LW,hook my HSS tree rope high above,put carbiner on my harness teather,unhook linemans ,..Grab tree,pray an step down onto the LW..Pull crap up,sit an pray I see/shoot something... Thoughts,tips,tricks etc are appreciated

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Safetyline would be useless for a guy packing in/out each time right?...Im going to try 1 trip up the tree period and 1 down,is that doable?...

Go up gf319804 style with the stick caddy my bow/small pack on a rope an the stand on another rope..Set the LW,hook my HSS tree rope high above,put carbiner on my harness teather,unhook linemans ,..Grab tree,pray an step down onto the LW..Pull crap up,sit an pray I see/shoot something... Thoughts,tips,tricks etc are appreciated

I make one trip up and one down every time unless I drop something.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I've been using a strap-style lineman's belt for a few years now. Even though it is very functional, I don't care for it. It sometimes twists and is not stiff enough. Also, mine does not have locking caribiners, and it makes me paranoid as hell when I'm going up the tree. I'm seriously thinking about getting a muddy harness and lineman's rope before bow season.

Also, to help decide between a rope or a belt... How often do you see professional tree trimmers using a lineman's belt instead of a rope? Never.

I make one trip up and one down every time unless I drop something.

I've followed your method almost to a tee, and this works really well for me. Two separate pull ropes... Climb up the tree, pull up stand and hang it, pull up gear and hunt... Boom, one trip up and one trip down.

I've been using a strap-style lineman's belt for a few years now. Even though it is very functional, I don't care for it. It sometimes twists and is not stiff enough. Also, mine does not have locking caribiners, and it makes me paranoid as hell when I'm going up the tree. I'm seriously thinking about getting a muddy harness and lineman's rope before bow season.

Also, to help decide between a rope or a belt... How often do you see professional tree trimmers using a lineman's belt instead of a rope? Never.

Jim,
If you ditch the strap I am interested, if I don't have a rope or strap of my own by then(I have locking biners for it) ..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Personally I don't prefer the muddy rope with a prusic knot. It's hard to adjust length with one hand. Tightening with one hand means pushing the knot with my thumb.

I use a standard strap with a buckle. The whole thing goes around behind my lower back in my belt area. I keep the buckle to my right in the run between me ant the tree. To tighten all I have to do is pull the tag end. To loosen just twist the buckle out. It's always a one handed operation. Like if I have a stick in my hand and need to tighten it to get closer to the tree i don't have to inch a prusic knot forward by pushing it with my thumb. Or I need to lean back more I just twist the buckle out and it slowly feeds out until I quit twisting.

I'll do a video. Easier to see it.

Huckleberry Finn

Thanks, Greg - and good points JBrown.

...I was looking at these things as 2 different tools for 2 different functions. 1) a lineman's belt/rope for hanging sticks. 2) a "lifeline" with a prussic knot for repeated use of the stand going up and down.

Personally I don't prefer the muddy rope with a prusic knot. It's hard to adjust length with one hand. Tightening with one hand means pushing the knot with my thumb.

I use a standard strap with a buckle. The whole thing goes around behind my lower back in my belt area. I keep the buckle to my right in the run between me ant the tree. To tighten all I have to do is pull the tag end. To loosen just twist the buckle out. It's always a one handed operation. Like if I have a stick in my hand and need to tighten it to get closer to the tree i don't have to inch a prusic knot forward by pushing it with my thumb. Or I need to lean back more I just twist the buckle out and it slowly feeds out until I quit twisting.

Well??.....Get after it princess!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jim,
If you ditch the strap I am interested, if I don't have a rope or strap of my own by then(I have locking biners for it) ..

I'll keep you in mind, man. Although I tend to hang onto extras... My dumbass forgets and/or loses things all the time, so a spare lineman's belt is always a good idea. lol

That is the ONE thing I do like about my lineman's belt. It is very easy to loosen or tighten with just one hand.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio

I can understand your frustration with a prusik knot, as it gets me every now and again when I have big adjustments in a climb. I don't mind loosening the rope, but tightening it up can be a real hand cramper.

I guess it is all personal preference...

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Huck I have a rope safety belt I have not used in several years as I no longer climb into trees. Give me your email and I send you pics. If your not to far from Circleville you could stop in and have a look.