Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who uses larger calibers for coyote?

I used to use an AR, in .223, for coyotes. After having several runners, I switched to a .25.06 and the running has stopped. :smiley_bril:

I really enjoy the ergonomics of the AR platform, for hunting and have been considering another one. However, this time I'm going to start out with something harder hitting. Something in a 6.8spc, 6.5 grendel, .243 Win., .308 Win., etc.

Does anyone use a larger caliber for coyotes?
Do you have any suggestions for a larger caliber?

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I use the .243 for pretty much everything but squirrels lol..... Haven't hit a yote yet and groundhogs usually don't move much after hit other than flopping around that is..... :smiley_coolpeace:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've used a 243 with good results. I've shot a couple of them with a 12 gauge slug while deer hunting. Thats impressive.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I've never shot one with anything larger than a 22-250. It knocks them right down. I would be afraid to carry a deer rifle around in Ohio when hunting coyotes...that would be a good reason to be accused of trying to poach deer imo. Another reason is that NW Ohio is very flat and somewhat populated....need to be very careful where you shoot those big rifles.

Last edited:
Beentown said:
.308 for me most of the time. I break out the AR but when it is time to get serious it is the .308
Is your .308 in an AR platform?

I used to have a Remington model 788, in .308 and sold it to my cousin. Recently, I asked if he still had it and/or was using it, as I was interested in buying it back. As it turns out, it had been stolen from a recent break in at his home. :smiley_depressive: I had some 110gr. V-Max bullets loaded to 3040 fps that were devistating on g-hogs and would produce "clover leaf" groups at 100 yards.

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am sticking with the AR the majority of the time and look forward to carrying the Mossberg Turkey special for a front gun this year. There are only a couple places I would feel comfortable shooting the 243 or 22-250 around here. Just too flat and open. Like Brock said, the slug or 50cal muzzle loader produced devastating results last year from the stand!