Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Do you all like..........

at1010

*Supporting Member*
The Drury Brothers?

I personally think they are great or atleast one of the better ones on tv. It shows them either hiring or working themselves every spring/early fall to plant food plots.

I have seen where they created bedding cover for the deer. They seem to shoot a lot of does, and yes they do kill big bucks, but they pass on a lot of younger ones as well, because they can and the odds of a neighbor killing it is low.

Yes, they can be a bit nerdy/dorky too.

What do you all think of them?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't have any outdoors channels right now, but I watch the shows sometimes while at a friend's or relative's house... and I have a fewe DVD's as well... and the Drury Brothers are definitely my favorite "hunting celebrities." Like cotty said, they seem to be very down-to-earth. I like that they show the whole story behind their deer management and hunting strategies. Also, they're not usually ones to sugar-coat anything... If they make a bad or marginal shot on a deer, they usually admit it. My biggest pet peeve of the hunting celebs is when you watch a guy or gal shoot a deer in the leg, or in the guts, and then stand there fist-pumping, saying how they just "smoked him."

runhunter

I agree, when it's just Mark and Terry hunting. I'm not so crazy about some of the other guys. Last night, Bow Madness, made me a bit "mad". A guys maaaaa's at a buck that is already stopped, 30 yards, quartering away pretty hard. He shoots, hits him just in front of back ham, where it meets the chest cavity. You can see the deer run away with 90%, maybe more, of the arrow hanging out of him. It happens, I get that. Here's why I turned it off. They back out, come back the next day, and right away, find his arrow. It appears if 3 to 4 inches of his arrow broke off the tip, he puts it in his quiver, follows good blood and boom there's the deer, all good things. Maybe clipped the femoral artery, which is equivalent to a heart shot, and it obviously did enough damage to kill the buck, but that arrow got zero penetration. Zero!! He actually had the nuts to say, without showing it, that there was an exit hole on the opposite front shoulder, and thanks to the Rage titanium. Really?? I was born yesterday, but not last night

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I used to like them. The whole dream season thing has turned me off. I have some of their early VHS tapes in which they shot little 4 and 6 pts. I liked them much better back then. They were the first of the "on camera hunters" to regularly hunt the midwest, and I liked seeing woods that looked like mine.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I was a big fan for a long time and own every DVD they have out up until last year. But I've been so turned off by the "pimpology" of all these hunting shows, that I only watch a select handful any more. Not to mention I don't get the Outdoor Channel in HD, so I never watch anything on it...

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Just curious to see your all points.

I saw that show last night, and wow I was disappointed in that shot placement. I do not shoot rages,but I think he only killed that deer cause it had a 2inch hole through its intestines, and musta hit enough blood vessels to kill it.

I think they are cool, I do not totally hate dream season, cause the guys who are on it seem to want it so bad. I think the scoring they do and all is dumb, but I like seeing some good old boys getting a chance at a dream job. You might hate the new hunting shows, but Id probably give a lot to live the life they do! haha retire early, and live on a farm in Iowa....Not a bad gig!

runhunter

All of us would give to live that life style I'm sure. There's no question. Hunt all day, manage farms, make good money and be in a position to pass on 145" 3 year olds... yea, it's like hitting the lottery. No doubt about it.
I understand, bad shots are part of the game, it will happen to everyone at some point. I'm not disappointed in that what so ever. Just don't try to sell the people watching it that the broadhead did exactly what it was supposed to. Sure, the deer is dead, so I guess it worked, but he didn't hit bone and still got only 3 or 4" of penetration. That's what she said.... But Im supposed to believe it blew through the deer and exited opposite front shoulder? Come on now

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Lmao! JB, You hit the nail on the head. I have seen some really bad hits. We all have experienced that at some time or other. Very few of them will admitt to a human error. The Drury's will however, will admit and do it with great taste. They are my favorite TV personality's.

jeremy44230

Medina County
Well hell yeah, me too! Wouldn't know what to do with myself I had access to the spots they hunt! Who knows, maybe we get more satisfaction by working like we do for the deer though...

Still would be a good time to get on one of their farms!

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
They do a good job of putting the show together. I dont like all of the people they have on there though. I bet if they sold the tape's they use to score deer they would sell a $HIT ton of them!

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Absolutely!!! Sad though..... Deer hunting has become so commercialized. When I started bow hunting in 1978. There was gracious farmers everywhere letting us hunt. Now its all about the mighty dollar! I can't blame the farmers. This economy has taken a Shit. Times have changed for the out door sportsman.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I noticed they are using his daughter more now too. Which is cool, showing the younger generation getting involved in the sport. I too do not like some of the guys on their team. .

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Mark and Terry are good dudes who share the same kind of passion as we do. They keep it honest more than most when they mess up and seem pretty charitable. I TOO don't care for some of the guys that joined their show. They do have awesome places in 3 states for which to hunt and they make the most of it.