Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Metzger Smallmouth

I was on Metzger Reservoir for about 2 hours before I caught the first fish and it was a channelcat that went 21". After I got him in and let him go, I thought I'd try the ultra-lite with a purple curly tailed jig. It was nearly sunset.

About the 4th or 5th cast I caught a nice 15" saugeye...another catch and release. There were 5 or 6 more casts and something hammered the jig. I could tell it was a good fish and he wasn't coming in for a while. At one point it jumped, so I kept the rod tip down in hopes of landing this one. The drag was set lite with the 6 lb. test line and I had plenty of water to let him tire out.

As I reached for the net, he made another run, so I took up the slack and quickly netted him into the kayak. This is my personal best, for a smallmouth. At 15 1/2", I've never caught one this size. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice one, 57!

You think that was fun?... Get your butt up north and hook into one of those Erie smallmouths. Now that's a fight!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Nice one, 57!

You think that was fun?... Get your butt up north and hook into one of those Erie smallmouths. Now that's a fight!

Nothing like hooking into a school of 3-4 lb smallies on Erie.... If you can find them......

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nothing like hooking into a school of 3-4 lb smallies on Erie.... If you can find them......

Yep... and what's the craziest, is that you're fishing in 15-20 FOW, and as soon as you set the hook they come flying out of the water like a rocket!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yep... and what's the craziest, is that you're fishing in 15-20 FOW, and as soon as you set the hook they come flying out of the water like a rocket!

And spit that hook right back at you if you ain't ready rotflmao Seen my share of tubes heading my way up there lol.... Plus 57 you'll catch your fair share of 6-9 lb sheep heads and they are a blast too catch as well.... No jumpin but they just don't want too come too the top :smiley_coolpeace:

"J",
I've caught my share of those greasy sheepheads in Bresler Reservoir...yuck. They hit my lures like a car going by at 40 mph, stip out a bunch of line, but when they give up...all they do is grunt and slime up the side of my kayak. :smiley_depressive:

Bowhunter57

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
"J",
I've caught my share of those greasy sheepheads in Bresler Reservoir...yuck. They hit my lures like a car going by at 40 mph, stip out a bunch of line, but when they give up...all they do is grunt and slime up the side of my kayak. :smiley_depressive:

Bowhunter57

How big do they get there? Gotta admit they do put up a hell of a fight.... until they roll over and play dead..... lol....