Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Midget football 101

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Geoffrey has never played any organized sports. He is playing midget football this year. By age he is a 6th grader. This is the oldest group of kids and many are starting their 4th year right now. His lack of experience shows. It is plain as day to me what some of his mistakes are. Snap the ball, he stands straight up. Today is the first day with full pads. He is getting his butt handed to him. There is one girl on the team. She acts like a girl. She is even handing his butt to him. As aggressive as he has been in school with his teacher, I think it is great. He needs to be humbled a bit. On the other hand, as legal guardian and parent to Geoffrey, I feel obligated to help him learn. I treat him the same as my own biological kids. Why would I sit back and watch him fail?

That said, any suggestions on what I can do to help him out? I have helped with stance. He runs with his arms flopping and does not let them move naturally. I can only tell him things so many times though. Looks like a freaking ragdoll armed kid running out there. Special Olympics bound if he keeps running like that. Not trying to be mean. It just is what it is. Should I allow him to continue getting run over until he figures it out? How many times should I have to tell him to stay low with his back straight while driving thru with his legs? How many times should I watch him attempt arm tackles and look like a total sally out there? Just curious. I am not sure some things can be taught. I think some things just need to be learned. Just sort of typing out loud as I am thinking. Should be interesting to read the responses and opinions. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. I know what I "can do" to help him learn. Curious what you guys think I "should do".

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
As long as he is willing to go to practice and play, I say let him get pummeled until he learns. If nothing else I just about bet after a long day of getting his dick knocked in the dirt he won't have much fight left in him for at home.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
One important thing for a young kid to be taught is to keep his head UP when he's attempting to tackle someone. His facemask should be buried in the other guy's waist, chest, or facemask when tackling. Too often I watch kids go flying in to make a tackle and drop their chin, like they're trying to spear the other guy..... This is a surefire way to get an ambulance ride for a neck injury.

Oh... and I know this may take some time because he's so new to football... But he has to learn to be just as aggressive as the guy across from him. When two guys run at each other and collide, guess which one gets crumpled.... Yep, the one that slowed down before impact.

Oh and one more thing... Do they seriously call it "midget football?" You'd think somebody would get all huffy and offended by a league name like that. I'm not offended... I'm just sayin.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
One important thing for a young kid to be taught is to keep his head UP when he's attempting to tackle someone. His facemask should be buried in the other guy's waist, chest, or facemask when tackling. Too often I watch kids go flying in to make a tackle and drop their chin, like they're trying to spear the other guy..... This is a surefire way to get an ambulance ride for a neck injury.

Good point Jim. Last thing we need is an injury. I have been working on stance. Keep your head up, butt down, back straight. Not like a frog butt down, but not like he is bending down to touch his toes. He just leans over and then when they snap it he stands straight up before anything. Boom. On his back. lol

Oh... and I know this may take some time because he's so new to football... But he has to learn to be just as aggressive as the guy across from him. When two guys run at each other and collide, guess which one gets crumpled.... Yep, the one that slowed down before impact.

Once again, I agree 100%. I compare him to Hank. He is full of energy, but learning how to harness that energy with some direction has been difficult. I need to figure out how to get Geoffrey to redirect some of his pent up anger and use it in a positive way. He has shown the ability to pick on those smaller than him or take out his frustrations on his teacher. I am thinking "Water Boy" here. Need to get him to harness all the anger and unleash it on the opposing team. He has enough size to lay into someone. I never had that at his age.

Oh and one more thing... Do they seriously call it "midget football?" You'd think somebody would get all huffy and offended by a league name like that. I'm not offended... I'm just sayin.

Bahahahahahah! Honestly not sure what they call it. We called it "Midget League" when I was young. Maybe this isn't what they call it anymore? Never gave it a second thought.:smiley_depressive::smiley_crocodile:

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
You gotta let him figure it out a little on his own. When I started football I was timid at first. Until I got laid out big time, then I stood up and was like "OH, that really didn't hurt".

#1 Is he having fun out there? thats the most important thing. If he gets yelled at all the time and pushed around. He will not want to go, then he won't try, etc.

#2 with his disability, I think this was a good decision. Organized sports.

Buckmaster

Portage
I'd let it ride for this year. He's got a lot to learn and understand already. Just keep providing simple reminders such as, square up, head up, drive forward, drive thru, etc. If you have wrestling in your area you should sign him up for that this winter. It will help him with his aggression and reinforce some football skills.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
If he's truly having fun and interacting with the others, I'm not sure you should do anything other than reminding him proper techniques. If he's wanting to be better then the easing way to get him to do proper stance is tie a 10-12 foot rope to long stakes. Make sure the ropes is about as high as you want him to raise up after the snap. Then once he gets in his stance under the rope simulate the snap and have him come out of his stance staying under the rope for proper height. We hade the sled with padded dummies to hit. But we would simulate the snap with the whistle, rise up and hit the first dummy, slide 2 feet and back in stance, whistle, rise, 2 hand hit, slide, stance, etc....You can also set up boxes instead of the dummies and have him knock them over. This drill will instantly develop proper stance, footwork, hand combat, agility. It should be one of the first things they have any football team doing from youth leagues right up to the NFL

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I'd let it ride for this year. He's got a lot to learn and understand already. Just keep providing simple reminders such as, square up, head up, drive forward, drive thru, etc. If you have wrestling in your area you should sign him up for that this winter. It will help him with his aggression and reinforce some football skills.

Great Idea. Wrestling is seriously a great sport for a kid like him. Controlled agression. Great for learning balance

badger

*Supporting Member*
When our son started playing baseball, he was the chubbiest and slowest kid on the team. He ran like a goofball just as you describe. We cut out most of the junk food in his diet and let him grow into his body and not turn into a fat blob. As far as his awkwardness, he grew out of that with time. I don't believe it had much to do with anything but nature teaching him how to utilize his body. Zach ended up being a very athletic young man without me pushing him or trying to coach him.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I have thought about that as well. Good call.

#1 Is he having fun out there? thats the most important thing. If he gets yelled at all the time and pushed around. He will not want to go, then he won't try, etc.

#2 with his disability, I think this was a good decision. Organized sports.

Organized sports is good. Just getting him around other "normal" kids is a benefit. Last night when he is standing there crying because he doesn't want to run is good for him. I could not imagine crying in front of the other 3-4-5-6th graders just because I didn't want to run. Humiliating. It is "acceptable" in the behavioral school he attends. In public schools. . . .not so much. He moves into a different building, with different teachers, and older students in school this year. The expectations are higher. The organized sports combined with a different school building could become excellent stepping stones to some improved social skills this year. Time will tell.

Rgecko- In regards to "Is he having fun?" I think so, but yesterday was the first day in full pads. Let's face it. First day in full pads is draining. I remember the excitement, but I remember it being a bit more physically demanding than the days of helmet only. I think I am going to work on a select few things with him. I do not have the time to dedicate to him daily to give him 10-20-30min of one on one football time before or after his 2hr practices. However, I should be able to give him 5-10min of "fun" training. I think if I can get a few basics thru his head it WILL make it MORE fun. I will continue working on: Stance. Staying low. Wrapping. Lastly, I need to work with him to use his arms when running. Poor kids looks like a fairy running out there. If nothing else, it might keep him from getting made fun of.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
What position are they having him play right now? If I had to guess it sounds like a lineman.

I like Redhunters idea about the rope. We had something similiar in High school except it was iron pipe. A little less forgiving than a rope, and you and everyone else knew when you came up out of your stance to quick. It was like a 4 x4 box of iron pipe with four legs to hold it about chest hieghth. You where in your stance on one side of the box and had to fire out through the box. If you came up to quick your helmet would hit the other sides pipe and DING! If you came up too far it would flat out lay you on your butt.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Pathetic new wrinkle tonight. Erin took him and he just stood outside the car. She said "Go out there and play. Your team is warming up." He said "I don't want to. Football isn't my thing. I want to quit." She talked to him. Couple of coaches talked to him. A parent I went to school with that also has kids on the team talked to him. He stood there crying and said "I didn't know it was going to be like this. It is hot. It is hard. I don't like to run. . . .blah blah blah". Excuse after excuse. Finally Erin called me and I showed up. I had a chat with him. I wanted to tell him to quit being such a puss and get out there but knew better.

Conversation went something like this. Normal "if you quit this you will quit everything in life" conversation combined with some "quitting is the easy way out." I told him he is the ONLY kid in his alternative behavioral school that is playing football or any sports. (He knows this is true.) I told him he will never play another sport if he quits this. I will not sign him up for baseball, basketball, soccer, Boy Scouts, or anything if he quits. He is showing me he will quit whenever things get hard and I told him I am not spending money to sign him up because he will just quit if it gets tough. I finished with "You don't have to play. You don't have to run. You don't have to hit. However, I am bringing you to practice EVERY night. I am taking you to every game. You WILL wear your helmet and pads. I cannot MAKE you participate. I CAN bring you here and make you stand on the sidelines and watch though. It will be your decision whether or not you want to go out there and play or if you just want to sit on the sidelines and watch everyone else have fun."

Best I could come up with as I was driving over and while talking to him. Funny part is I am stubborn enough to drag his ass there every night and make him stand there and watch. His choice. He has the opportunity to play. He has the choice to stand there and cry.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Good job on that one Phil...I would have kicked his ass and sent him on the field.:smiley_blackeye:

You are doing a great job.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Pathetic new wrinkle tonight. Erin took him and he just stood outside the car. She said "Go out there and play. Your team is warming up." He said "I don't want to. Football isn't my thing. I want to quit." She talked to him. Couple of coaches talked to him. A parent I went to school with that also has kids on the team talked to him. He stood there crying and said "I didn't know it was going to be like this. It is hot. It is hard. I don't like to run. . . .blah blah blah". Excuse after excuse. Finally Erin called me and I showed up. I had a chat with him. I wanted to tell him to quit being such a puss and get out there but knew better.

Conversation went something like this. Normal "if you quit this you will quit everything in life" conversation combined with some "quitting is the easy way out." I told him he is the ONLY kid in his alternative behavioral school that is playing football or any sports. (He knows this is true.) I told him he will never play another sport if he quits this. I will not sign him up for baseball, basketball, soccer, Boy Scouts, or anything if he quits. He is showing me he will quit whenever things get hard and I told him I am not spending money to sign him up because he will just quit if it gets tough. I finished with "You don't have to play. You don't have to run. You don't have to hit. However, I am bringing you to practice EVERY night. I am taking you to every game. You WILL wear your helmet and pads. I cannot MAKE you participate. I CAN bring you here and make you stand on the sidelines and watch though. It will be your decision whether or not you want to go out there and play or if you just want to sit on the sidelines and watch everyone else have fun."

Best I could come up with as I was driving over and while talking to him. Funny part is I am stubborn enough to drag his ass there every night and make him stand there and watch. His choice. He has the opportunity to play. He has the choice to stand there and cry.

So did he practice after the pep talk?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I got nothing here. You're a better man than I for being able to deal with that shit. I'd have blown a damn gasket and my biggest fear is a kid with no talent or drive, not sure I can deal with that either...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I got nothing here. You're a better man than I for being able to deal with that shit. I'd have blown a damn gasket and my biggest fear is a kid with no talent or drive, not sure I can deal with that either...

Jesse- It helps knowing my flesh and blood children are not like this. Had I raised him since he was a baby I would be seriously questioning myself about where I went wrong. If my biological children acted this way I would be questioning myself. There are some big issues I am dealing with with Geoffrey. Whether he plays or not isn't something I am going to make an issue. He wants to stand there and cry, I will let him. His choice. I'll be damned if I am letting him quit though.