Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Allen brand broadheads?

Has anyone actually used an Allen brand broadhead, for deer hunting?

I spotted a 3 pak of these Skybolt XS 100 gr. broadheads with a 1 1/8" cutting diameter, at Walmart for $14.96. They look like a decent broadhead with .027" blade thickness.
http://allencompany.net/archery/broadheads-points/skybolt-xs-broadhead.html
The one in this link says that it has .040" blade thickness and has a 1 1/2" cutting diameter, but the smaller one that I seen looks identical.

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

Has anyone actually used an Allen brand broadhead, for deer hunting?

I spotted a 3 pak of these Skybolt XS 100 gr. broadheads with a 1 1/8" cutting diameter, at Walmart for $14.96. They look like a decent broadhead with .027" blade thickness.
http://allencompany.net/archery/broadheads-points/skybolt-xs-broadhead.html
The one in this link says that it has .040" blade thickness and has a 1 1/2" cutting diameter, but the smaller one that I seen looks identical.

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

Yes I have and they are abysmal. The blades wiggle in the ferrule and the broadheads whistle like crazy during flight. Same goes for the red 85gr Allen broadheads. Most everything Allen makes anymore is cheap. Which is pretty sad considering that they made the first pratical compound bow and a lot of other archery advances.

Last edited:

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Anything Allen makes is junk. 5 years ago I took a 12pt buck around the 2nd week of October. My FIL asked if he could hunt my stand.I told him there was a 2.5 year old 9pt hanging around so have at it. I also told him the Allen broadheads he was using were pieces of crap. He's old school. He cares not about the wind, smoking in stand, having asthmatic episodes, etc..... Anyhow, a few days later he calls me and says he just shot the 9pt and might need help tracking it. I get a buddy and some lights and meet up with him. He shows me the shot he had. It was exactly 17 yards broadside. We started tracking with decent amounts of blood and some pools every so often. I was inspecting one of the pools about 100 yards from the shot and actually found parts of a blade and some ferrule in it. I just held them up to him and gave him a "Told you so" look. We actually tracked that deer roughly a mile that night. I knew we jumped him a few times so we decided to give him the night. I returned the next morning and found him luckily after the blood ran out. I actually stumbled on him in a thicket quite a bit aways from the last blood. My FIL actually hit this deer perfectly behind the shoulder and the broadhead literally fell apart after contact. He got minimal penetration and it barely caught any arteries around the heart. The shot was on the ooposite side of this pic.

I was afraid of this kind of report. :smiley_armscrossed: Well, you don't have to tell me 3 times...count me out. It's the ole "you get what you pay for", so I'll stick to the tried and true...Slick Tricks. I've had good success with the Razor Trick, but this year I'm going to try the Grizz Trick. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57