Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who is getting out this weekend?

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
The weather is looking good for some morning hunts for this weekend. I will be in Dayton over the weekend with the wife at a marriage encounter weekend.

Sat AM I will be at the clubs marsh
I will be setting where the semi open marsh meets the flooded trees

Normaly we do well on Woodies amd mallards in that spot

A little later ( Hopefuly after a quick limmit of ducks )
I move to a open area in the marsh to wack some geese
I will be setting up my Duck & goose decoys there Fri night

John

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'll be out hunting all day on Saturday. Any ducks and geese in the Sandusky Bay are in for a world of hurt that day... and that's all I have to say about that. :)

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
:smiley_adfundum:NEXT wwekend! Headed to a "deer camp" in Athens. NO not the Wayne! :smiley_bril:

Matt

Norton, OH
I'll be out hunting all day on Saturday. Any ducks and geese in the Sandusky Bay are in for a world of hurt that day... and that's all I have to say about that. :)

Hey Jbrown, I think my family is going to be doing Thanksgiving at my grandma's trailer in West Harbor and I want to try to take my dad and little sister out that morning for a duck hunt. You suppose when the time gets nearer you could give me some pointers on where to go in the area? We probably won't have a chance to scout or anything, so it would be nice to have some insight.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hey Jbrown, I think my family is going to be doing Thanksgiving at my grandma's trailer in West Harbor and I want to try to take my dad and little sister out that morning for a duck hunt. You suppose when the time gets nearer you could give me some pointers on where to go in the area? We probably won't have a chance to scout or anything, so it would be nice to have some insight.

Sure thing, Matt. For public land, I would suggest Pickerel Creek Wildlife Area... they have almost 50 zones to hunt that are selected during a lottery-style drawing the morning of the hunt. I've got connections there so send me a PM before you go and I'll hook you up. ;)

Sure thing, Matt. For public land, I would suggest Pickerel Creek Wildlife Area... they have almost 50 zones to hunt that are selected during a lottery-style drawing the morning of the hunt. I've got connections there so send me a PM before you go and I'll hook you up. ;)

Pickerel Creek is open
Mon , Wen , Fri and Sat

John

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio

Yeah bitches!!!

3 woodies and 2 mallards this AM

The geese got jumped off the creek a little before shooting time
The 3 fools emptyed thier guns and got 3 or 4

But screwed it up for everyone else

I might try it this afternoon
As they will have setteled down in the marsh away from the public land hunters

John

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I took the kids to a park and fed the ducks on Sunday. My chessie, Timber, went along too. I think he almost went into convulsions because I wouldn't take him off the leash, and made him sit there 5 yards away from about 50 mallards and geese all going crazy for some stale bread.

We'll be out this week after I get some more work crap cleared up...

Here's the only birds I shot.... with a camera.

Matt

Norton, OH
Here is how my weekend unfolded. Jmmyers and myself went out on Saturday. We sat in a field for geese in the a.m. The previous week I had observed many flocks flying over this field. This past weekend? Nothing. Zip. Nada... Jimmy did thwack a nice sized crow though.

So, we drove to a public marsh in the early afternoon only to find it crowded as all get out. So we went to another public spot I know of that doesn't get as much attention. I knew where there was a wide spot in the creek where some beavers had made a dam. We got there only to find the beavers had made the dam taller, and the pond wider and going into the surrounding grass.

This first picture is taken from where we first set up. But, we had a few groups of woodies fly over our heads low enough for a shot but without enough warning we never even got our guns up. So we made a bit of adjustment to our decoys and moved across the creek and sat in the brush shown to the left in the first picture. The second picture shows our set from there. I botched a few shots on some woodies, and that's all the action we had there.

Sunday morning I went to Church. And by Church, I mean I have permission to hunt on property owned by a church which happens to have a swamp and a large creek running through it. Unfortunately, only I am allowed to hunt there, the priest won't let me brign friends, so I was flying solo. Here is a pic of the swamp from where I set up.

And this is a shot from where I was sitting. I was actually able to sit on a reed root ball, and since the mud was about up to my thighs, when I sat it was actually quite comfortable.

Right at first light I had 2 drake woodies come in and I "reduced them to my possession." ;)

Then about an hour later, (I was hearing geese all morning) I had a flock of about 15 or 20 geese skirt the swamp and head the other way. A couple clucks and moans had em turning on a dime and circling the swamp. They cupped their wings behind me and flew into the swamp over my head. I readily plucked my limit from the sky with my first ever goose harvest, plus a double at that. ;)

So, I gathered up my dekes and headed to the creek where I walked to a bend and just as I rounded the bend I jumped up my third and final Drake woodie, calling it a day.

The woodies