Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer in corn.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
When deer use corn fields do they stay near the edges or go in deep? Do they tend to use the same rows to get in and out?:confused:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
From what I have read and supported by the tracks that I have seen, they typically only go 15-25 or so rows in to bed. Also from what I have seen they typically don't use the exact same trail every time, however they will generally exit the corn in the same area about an acre in size. They also tend to prefer certain areas of the cornfield over others. Four instance there may be one back corner where the deer always exit however you never see a deer on any other part of the field. This is probably due to factors outside of the actual field itself, like being in close proximity to another food source, water, or escape cover.

Call me crazy but I believe they here have a guidance system similar to that of migratory birds and fish except on a vastly smaller scale. And here are some examples of why I think that. Number one deer are not naturally nocturnal animals. Yet they seem to be extraordinarily talented at ambling around in the dark finding food, water, mineral sites and back to bed. While they can see better at night then we humans can they are not specially adapted for nighttime living like say an owl. It is for this reason I think its why we can walk up on dee a lot closer at night and they are seemingly not as afraid. Coon hunting at two or three in the morning I have had very nice bucks walk out of the woods into the field not 40 yards away and seemingly not care. They just look over and go about feeding or doing whatever they were doing. They see us. But the don't see us clearly like in the daytime so their tolerance of us is higher. So to get around that night that only leaves really there nose as a guidance system and we know that that would be highly inefficient. We know that they can smell objects very good but let's face it they're not exactly bloodhound tracking dogs that use their nose to navigate.

Another thing that gives me reason to believe they have some other type of guidance system is when a corn field is harvested or a section of the woods are clear-cut. For a period of days after that you will see dear continuing to do the same routine they were doing when the corn or trees were there. And they also stand in the open almost like they don't know that the corn or the trees are missing. I have seen a section of woods get cut and for a few days watched dear walk the exact trails they were walking before. However those trails no longer exist trees have been cut down put it in the path, bulldozers gone through, and the landscape is completely changed. Yet for a period of days they continue to do the same thing on the same route.

Siris voice to text Jack that all up I'm not going back to correct all those grammatical errors but you get the point lol.

Last edited:
Mike

"IF" you find deer that just will not play nice and come out during daylight
Lots seem to only like to come out after dark
Pick a windy day and go in after them

You need a bow , as I found a crossbow is to hard to use

Walk real slow into and acrost the wind
The wind will cover most of the noise you make
Look down a row ( duck down ) both ways
If you see a deer bedded a ways down
Move back 8 - 10 rows and SLOWLY make a stalk
When you get close
You need to move even slower and only when the wind is blowing

I have taken several doe's this way ........seen bucks
But never had a clear shot

If you spook a deer
I have found they normaly don't leave the corn

Good luck

John

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Deer will bed anywhere in corn but if you know where there is foxtail growing in the field, hedge your bet there.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Deer will bed anywhere in corn but if you know where there is foxtail growing in the field, hedge your bet there.

Yep. I also think about corn being a pond and deer fish. Look for structure. Waterway, fence row, that big single tree or rock in the field, etc...

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I have heard and read numerous times about what joe said. As the deer will keep the same routine days after the corn has been cut. They just don't get that the corn is down. They are creatures of habit and until they have that moment that clicks in their brain, they stick to the same routine. Now once the rut comes, all common sense seems to get thrown out the window. This is just what I have read and heard. So dont quote me on it.

I still think they slink around during the rut, they are just not as "ghostly" when they have doe on the brain.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep. I also think about corn being a pond and deer fish. Look for structure. Waterway, fence row, that big single tree or rock in the field, etc...

That's an excellent description... and I totally agree. Of course, like in fishing, there's always that one "goofy" bass that seems to hit a bait out in the middle of open water too. lol

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Deer like transitional areas, or "edges" for bedding. They seem to like to be where 2 or more different types of habitat come together. I think it gives them a sense of security.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I see a lot of traffic on field splits where habitat/food changes. For example, on one of the small places I hunt, the two fields split where I drew the blue line. Where those splits meet the woods seem to be a really hot travel spot for the deer, or atleast where they like to enter exit the woods.

Could also be the most practical spot to come out and grab a bite of soybeans and be able to easily dart into the corn if danger arises.

corn_soybean_edge.JPG

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very good points guys but I will also add they prefer to bed on the downwind side of the cornfield as well. If there is slough or high spot on the downwind side it is even more likely to be a bedding area.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Another question. How about weak spots in the corn field? There are a lot of those this year.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Well this is a very good question. From my experiences deer like to bed on the down wind edge of the corn field. With the wind at their back, watching the woods in front of them. This allows them to escape quiet and quick. Their ears are also pinned back as to listen for predators approaching from behind.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well this is a very good question. From my experiences deer like to bed on the down wind edge of the corn field. With the wind at their back, watching the woods in front of them. This allows them to escape quiet and quick. Their ears are also pinned back as to listen for predators approaching from behind.

I don't have much experience hunting corn, but this makes the most sense to me. Over the years, every big buck I have ever jumped from a bed was gone in the matter of 3-4 bounds. I firmly believe their #1 concern when bedding is escape and that'll concede over things to ensure they can disappear with a quickness...