Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Getting another dog

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We have had Brutus the Boxer for around 8 years and he was 1-2 when we got him. He is a good boy. A couple years ago we started talking about getting another dog. This is when I got Hank. Our German Shorthair is a great dog as well. He is very affectionate, but he is a big GSP. He has no house manners and has his kennel outside. I attend to him and do not foresee him ever settling down enough to be a house dog. I just can't see two dogs over 70lbs in the house anyway.

Erin and Graci have been scheming to talk me into another house dog. They were looking at dashunds. I don't want a weiner dog. Don't get me wrong, they are cute puppies, but later they are ankle biter weiner dogs.

At our family reunion we met Rufus. He is one of my cousins' Yorkshire Terrier. He was above ankle height, cute as can be, and the right combination of playful and gentle. He won my wife's heart and the kids. I won't lie, he was a cutie and I liked him too.

Now comes the dilemma. Do we really need another dog? No. Do the kids and wife want another dog? Yes. Can I tolerate another dog? Sure. Did I pull one over on them when I said we could get another dog and I brought Hank home? Yeah, probably so. He isn't exactly the small, lapdog/house dog they were hoping for. Soooooo, what kind of dog to get?

I don't want to go thru potty training and finding out our cute little puppy is retarded/destructive/yappy/etc. I would say this limits us to rescuing a younger dog from the pound. It is a great way to go in my opinion anyway. So we got online to the local humane society.

They have a very cute Yorkshire terrier. http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23587284

They have an adorable beagle/blue heeler mix. http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23664240

They have a corgi/boxer mix that is cute. http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23153584

Then there is the Mountain Cur mix. http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23219825

Honestly, for a small humane society they have a great selection. Do you guys have any input? I don't know much about curs, or blue heelers. It has been awhile since I have shopped for a dog. Suggestions for things to look for? Is there anything to make me throw up a red flag?

This should be a fun and interesting thread. I know there are some dog lovers here.

ohio
I think the pound is an awesome and very noble way to go! I've had dogs my whole life Germans, chows, a maltese/jack Russell mix and several boxers. The jack mix was the smartest dog I have ever had. I love my boxers but I think I love the breed more than the animals themselves, as they are pretty.much the same everytime

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
My vote goes out to Floyd. You cant go wrong with a beagle IMO. I know he's a mix but still..i can see it. On the other hand, look into getting a Mountain Feist. It's a squirrel doe thats also a smallish lap dog. Dad brought one home a few years back and she cracks me up. They have plenty of energy but arent too crazy. Just a thought, I hope it works out for ya Phil. Dogs are an awsome addition to families.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good call on the Feist Moundy. The kids wanted a Jack Russell a couple years ago. No freaking way! They are a little too spastic. The feist is similar to the Jack Russell without as much of the psycho. I like Floyd too!

I should add, I have always been a boxer guy but realize the wife and kids are wanting a smaller dog. I need to compromise. Plus with the kids being 8, 10, and 11 it is good timing for giving them some more responsibilities. I think it could be good for all of them. Hell, we just adopted a nephew, why not another dog while we are at it. lmao

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I would stay away from the Corgi. Never seen one I liked that wasn't over 6 years old.

For small dogs the two I like are Jack Russels and Yorkies. The Jack is the mans, man small dog. Natural hunter and the smartest dog on the planet. Only dog I know that actually watches tv. Easily trained.

The Yorkie is the other end of the spectrum. Well behaved prissy dog. Lol. Great lap dog without the yappy personality most times. Just use a light hand while training because most are submissive to a fault.

I want a mountain cur or another black shepherd for my next dog.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I think you know I had two dogs, a black lab which I had to put down several weeks back due to having tumors and the vet said he was in pain. The other one my Ex wife brought home against my wishes and I still have him. He is a Blue Healer and as pissed off as I was that dang dog is the most loyal dog I have ever seen. He will not run off other then to chase geese or a squirrel in my yard, lol. He is by your side ALWAYS. Mom takes care of him while I am here at the Rig. She goes over and gets him while she is doing yard work and he won't leave her side either. They are small and loyal. Just saying. I will see if I have a picture.

Meet Shorty....................

Huckleberry Finn

Beagle...

Do not get a Yorkie. My grandmother has had mini poodles and Yorkies my entire life. And by that, I mean right now she has 3 Yorkies and 1 tea cup poodle. They are all mean and stupid. And piss everywhere.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks like J and Moundhill are going to throw a thumbs up my way. I believe FredT and Cotty are beagle owners as well. We ended up with "Zoey". We have her home on a trial basis. Upon heading to the pound, we saw several very cute dogs which seemed fairly mellow.

Zeke was a boxer/corgi mix and although a smaller dog you could see signs of spastic.

Floyd- (My choice) was out on a walk with a family. He was heeler/beagle mix and just a beautiful dog. He was a bit larger than Erin wanted but it was a moot point since the other family adopted him.

Babe- She was the Yorkie mix. Not the "fit in your wife's purse" sized yorkie though. She was more like the size of a schnauzer on steroids. A little taller and longer than a schnauzer, with the fur and facial features of a yorkie. She was mellow but was also being adopted before we left.

Snickers- He was the mountain cur mix. Beautiful dog and very mild disposition. Hair was a little on the longer side than I expected and he was a little on the larger side than Erin expected. Poor guy never stood a chance. The kids didn't want much to do with him so I didn't push the issue. If the kids aren't interested then they are not going to bond or help out with the dog.

They introduced us to Zoey. She is the beagle (beagle mix?) that we ended up with. Graci and the boys want to call her Izzy. I like Sloopy. This would be the female version of Snoopy and as a Buckeye fan "Hang on Sloopie" comes to mind. Plus we could go around singing "Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay Sloop-Dog in the Mutha Freaking Hey-ouse." I have a feeling "Izzy" will win out in the end. The kids and Erin fell in love with her right away. I must admit, she is a cutie. In the end, she is short haired, mild mannered, and the size Erin and I felt was just about right. She is definitely a little lover. I haven't heard her bark yet which is a plus. The kids are loving all over her and gave her a bath as soon as they brought her home. They even gave all Stankus (Brutus) a bath today. I'll be darned. Teaching the youngsters a little responsibility isn't all bad after all!

I doubt she ends up heading back to the Humane Society, but we will see how she does with accidents and crate training at night before the final vote is given. I told them I hold 51% of the vote. They are lucky I am a dog lover and so far she is winning my heart. lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here is a pic from the pound.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1343513453514.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343513453514.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 209
  • uploadfromtaptalk1343513465847.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343513465847.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 213

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
lol... probably Phil.... nice looking hound.... gives the kids something too do chasing bunnies with him.... lol.... hopefully it will be a great addition too the Hicks household.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You think she is full beagle? Seems a little bigger than many of the beagles I have seen. Almost like a touch of basset hound in her or something. Maybe just not a full beagle? I don't know. I am not overly familiar with them. I know some can be hyper and barkers. She is not and that is good!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Phil, she is a little on the long side but that doesn't mean much these days..... There's a little of everthing in them these days lol.... Take her out and put her on some bunnies and see what happens.... Find a rabbit and where it was sitting and put her nose too it and see what happens.... If it's in her it'll show and you'll have a duel purpose pet lol.... The boys behind beagles and Graci as well you'll have hours of fun.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
J- We met my foreman and his family at Indian Lake tonight where they are camping. Took "Izzy" with us. I watched her pull the kids around by the leash. That little girl follows her nose everywhere. Doesn't necessarily mean she will hunt, but you are correct, it is in her bloodline somewhere. Doesn't necessarily mean she would be worth a squat, but she may be a hunter.