Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Road scouting

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Thought it was going to be a productive night road scouting since the storm blew through in the late afternoon & temps dropped about 15 - 20 degrees. After driving around for a while and not seeing much on one farm, I decided to go cross county to another spot. Even along the way, I wasn't seeing much in the fields. As I slowly rolled past the first completely empty bean field of the farm I figured I just wasted my time & gas. I rolled along passing a section planted in corn, and approached a second section planted in beans. Nothing.

I drove along, did a U turn and started heading back. When all of the sudden at very last light I see a hint of tan stepping out into all of the green. It's a buck. Nothing for this year, but maybe he'll stick around for future seasons. As I'm glassing him, I see some more movement coming behind him. Finally... something decent to put on the hit list. I tried to get some pics but it was very low light and I didn't bring my tripod.

He's all I've got so far, but hopefully this weekend's camera check shows him & some others that could be in the area.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I did the same last night. I took the camera with me but by the time the big boys came out there was little light left. Seen a ton of 1.5-2.5 year olds out last night. Went to check the area we been seeing the 150 class buck and seen 2 bucks that might make 130. One is a 3.5-4.5 year old 10 point. He has a narrow, but long tined rack, really beautiful. The other looked like a really old buck. He was a main framed 9pt. His back was all swayed, he looked like an old stud horse out there. His rack was maybe 18" wide and he had decent main beam length and average tine length. Probably on the way down hill

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
What happened to CP3O?

G3PO... Unfortunately I haven't seen him yet, but I've only road scouted that farm... waiting on a new trail camera to hang there in hopes he's still lurking. Rumor is that a Big 8 was killed dead in the area last season though.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Hope its not the one I killed since were both from Central OH, highly doubt it tho. For some reason this years summer scouting has been as good as years past. Hopefully come Aug. this will change.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good luck with them this year Sean.... Hope too see an up close and personal picture with you hands around it's antlers..... :smiley_coolpeace:

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Nate and I hung 4 sets yesterday then relaxed for a couple hours and decided to drive around. The last 20 minutes of daylight last night and all the bucks came out of the woodworks. We seen a couple new bucks we hadn't seen before that are definite shooters. Seen a few of the bucks from our videos. The woods look way different out there since the windstorm. It'll be interesting for sure. What used to be good setups on travel routes now look like prime bedding habitat with all the down trees.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Gonna try and hit it a bit tonight after some dog training. Last week I watched a decent buck that I need to get some better pictures of. I know there's at least one other deer in the area bigger that the one pictured, but haven't seen him during any of my recent outings.